TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
Camper One

Default Stabilizer Scissor Jack Modification

The way every travel trailer manufacturer (TM included) mounts the stabilizer jacks to the frame is exactly the wrong way to do it.

The way the manufacturers mount the jacks to the trailer is to install all four of the jacks all aligned and parallel to each other. In other words, the two jacks on the left side of the trailer are mounted perpendicular to the frame (one in the front and one in the back) and the two jacks on the right side are installed the exact same way.

Since the scissor jacks have an inherent "weak spot" in each of the joints, and since all of the jacks are mounted to the frame all lined up in the exact same way...all of the weak spots are also all lined up and therefore the trailer wobbles a bit when up on the stabilizer jacks.

I decided that I would offset the mounting of the jacks on the frame and I found that the trailer is now much more stable when up on jacks.

The rear jacks on my trailer are now installed at a 45 degree angle to the frame. The front jacks are installed on the forward frame joint (where the two frame rails begin to turn inboard and converge as they move forward toward the trailer hitch). This is a great location because the joing is reinforced by a steel plate under the joint and the angle of these two converging frame rails are is more like 30 degrees to the parallel frame rails.

So now...since each scissor jack is pointed in a different direction, all of the weak links in the jack assemblies are no longer aligned with one another.

I found that the trailer is really much more stable now when jacked up as a result of this mod.

Additionally, since I raised the lift on the trailer 6 inches, I also carry wood blocks that I place under the stabilizer jacks so that the jacks only really need to extend down about 10 inches before they begin to rest on top of the blocks. Since the jacks are only partially extended they are even more stable.

On the top of each wood block I installed a 3/8 inch diameter by 6 inch long wood lag bolt and left the shank sticking out of the top of each wood block about 1 inch.

I then drilled a 1/2 in hole into the bottom of each stabilizer jack foot pad.

So now...after the wood block is placed under the jack, the shank of the bolt sticks up into the hole in the bottom of the jack foot pad so there is no fear of the jack slipping off of the wood block.

Well...I guess since our trailer is no longer rock'in...you can bother knock'in!?!?!