TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-16-2014, 02:30 PM   #1
Tampajohn

Default Bent Axle and Wheel Fell Off on I20 in Georgia

Hit a pot hole and it apparently bent the axle and hub and wheel fell off. I was on I 20 in Georgia. Got off to the side of the road, jacked up the TM of the drivers side and the wheel was jammed underneath the axle and hub when I went back and looked at it after pulling off the side of the road. Most of the brake hub is gone and brakes shoes fell off in my hand. Wheel is still mounted to the wheel, but I see maybe a 45 degree bend in the axle about 6 inches from the end of the axle. The bearings are gone. Anyway, I got it towed in to a motel in Thomas, Ga and called a guy that works on trailers and he indicated it would be no problem to replace the axle right here in the motel parking lot. He is coming out in the morning and to take a look and said if he could find one local, he would do it tomorrow. I called Progressive Insurance and they said they would cover it, and gave me a claim number. I thought i had tow insurance and they said I do on everything, but the TM. I remember specifically telling them I wanted it on the TM and what can you do, completely at insurance company mercy $285 later. Anyway will follow up with this sage. John.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:36 PM   #2
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Bet you will be glad to get home. do you think you hit a hole or did a bearing go out an ultimately cause it? For insurance purposes a chuck hole! I had a wheel bearing fail years ago and had similar damage, that is why I am a lot more diligent about wheel bearing maintenance since!
Hope you get it resolved Monday .

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:20 PM   #3
Tampajohn

Life is never boring. About a mile earlier, I hit a pot hole that could have bent the axle. I said 45 Degree, but I went down and looked at it and more like 30 degrees. Anyway, for insurance it is going to be a pot hole for sure. I did have one thing that just happened and could not believe it. Called Progressive to add towing insurance on TM and they checked and said every vehicle I own has tow insurance and they backdated it, charged the premium of $15 per year and said send them the bill and they would pay it. They also are going to have a claim adjuster call me in the morning. Never know what is going to happen from one day to the next. We are in a dumpy motel, for 68 per night. Really makes me appreciate my TM. Wife said look at this dump and they have the nerve. LOL> By the time we get home, would have been gone for 5 months at 70 per night equals 10,000. Could not afford the traveling like we do for sure. Add gas and the rest of the garbage, like eating out all the time. WOW, dont want to think of it. I just hope our health holds up since we are in our late 60's. Anyway another trip planned in May up north to visit the Michigan and Ohio Kids.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:23 PM   #4
Tampajohn

BTW, I pulled the hubs and repacked the bearings in Menifee, Ca while we were at Thousand Trails there. About 2000 miles ago. I have done it several times and thought I did a good job. Checked the hubs for excessive heat about 50 miles prior and no heat there. Who knows. life will go on. Just got to get it fixed. Will follow up as the saga continues. LOL.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:14 PM   #5
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

I remember now, you did maintence recently, a long trip for sure. Hope your health holds out, I enjoy your updates. Longest trip we attempt is about 10 days and a thousand miles. We do have an Ohio to Flordia trip scheduled for September . If you are on I80 in Ohio my driveway can be your camp driveway for a night!
Better than Walmart

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

Old 03-16-2014, 06:06 PM   #6
Tampajohn

TMan. Thanks for the invite. This group is really great. Anyway if u need help with Florida, I hate to tell you how many times I drove I 75. We have been going down I 95 for change in scenery and to visit Sexton Dental Clinic in Florence, SC. The cheapest dentist I know of. That was where we were heading before getting home. Anyway, we will get there at some point. This should be an interesting segment in our lives of how we get on the road again. Always a challenge. LOL
Old 03-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #7
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

Lightbulb Neighborly Camping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailManorMan View Post
Longest trip we attempt is about 10 days and a thousand miles. We do have an Ohio to Flordia trip scheduled for September . If you are on I80 in Ohio my driveway can be your camp driveway for a night!
Better than Walmart
Wouldn't it be great if we had a list of TM owners throughout the country that would offer a overnight or weekend camp spot on their property! I for one keep my TM up and open all year and have room nearby with hook-ups for another TM or TT! Friends from the east coast come to visit a few times a year in their 42' motorhome and we can accommodate them! If your travel plans bring you down or up the west coast of Florida, We are in the Clearwater area! Come on down!

PS: TrialManorMan, I am from the west side of Cleveland and come up there every few years!

08 2619 TM W/The Works, 15" wheels X 4 (2 spares),
2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

Sold to someone that loves travel and camping as much as we do!

Love the forum so always checking in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELM-JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:14 PM   #8
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

There is a group that shares overnights camping sites across the US and Canada.

Check out https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:01 AM   #9
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

The offer is open to any TM owner!

Old 03-17-2014, 08:36 AM   #10
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

Thumbs up TrailManor Owners Only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailManorMan View Post
The offer is open to any TM owner!
I'm with you TMMan! Offer is open to Forum members and Family!

08 2619 TM W/The Works, 15" wheels X 4 (2 spares),
2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

Sold to someone that loves travel and camping as much as we do!

Love the forum so always checking in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELM-JLM is offline   Reply With Quote