TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-11-2008, 07:43 AM   #1
JOEALAN

Default Battery cut-off switch.

Andy ... I'm interested hearing about that battery cut-off switch. Wonder how difficult it would be to install. Changing out tires and putting a new battery in this weekend. Maybe best time to do it.

Have a great day!
Old 02-11-2008, 08:04 AM   #2
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEALAN View Post
I'm interested hearing about that battery cut-off switch. Wonder how difficult it would be to install. Changing out tires and putting a new battery in this weekend. Maybe best time to do it.
JOEALLEN,

The battery cut-off switch would be nice, but I just pull my fuse when I store the TM. I did install 1 of the flat fuse holders, since many TM owners (including myself) had failure of the factory inline round fuse.

Chap
Old 02-11-2008, 12:19 PM   #3
mtnguy

Oops, I forgot about the batteries being in the back of the SLs and SDs. In that case, a master battery switch would probably make more sense than pulling the fuse.....depending on where that was, and how hard to get to.

Chap
Old 02-11-2008, 12:40 PM   #4
PopBeavers

One of these days I will post photos of a battery switch I installed on my TM 2720 with swing tongue.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:17 PM   #5
ragmopp

Joe, check out the following link message 32.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...?t=1103&page=4

Lars came up with this and I also installed one on my TM. It works great, and no messing with those glass fuses...

Mike Anderson
Old 02-11-2008, 04:19 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Since it is a slide model, my 2720SL also has the battery in the back compartment, of course. I would like to have a battery cutoff switch, but for greatest utility, it has to be accessible when the TM is closed. After all, if I have to open the rear compartment to access the switch, I might as well pull the fuse - and like Chap, that's just what I do.

I have been toying with the idea of mounting a round marine-type battery cutoff switch in the cable hatch where the AC power cord comes out the side of the TM. I no longer use this hatch for the power cord ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:40 PM   #7
Shleper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I have been toying with the idea of mounting a round marine-type battery cutoff switch in the cable hatch where the AC power cord comes out the side of the TM. I no longer use this hatch for the power cord ...

Bill
That is exactly what I did. I enclosed it with a PVC cap on the inside of the bumper storage area. Works great!
Shleper
Old 02-11-2008, 07:54 PM   #8
PopBeavers

In another older thread I posted a pair of pictures of how I installed a battery switch on the front of my TM 2720. You can see it at :

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...5578#post45578
Old 02-12-2008, 07:15 AM   #9
JOEALAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragmopp View Post
Joe, check out the following link message 32.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...?t=1103&page=4

Lars came up with this and I also installed one on my TM. It works great, and no messing with those glass fuses...

Mike Anderson
Thank you Mike, Chap, Andy and Wayne for your response. Looking on the net, battery cut off switches are very reasonable, at least cost wise. Since it is very easy to get at my battery, I'll just have them install one at the same time I purchase a new battery. Thanks for help.

Joe
Old 02-12-2008, 12:11 PM   #10
PopBeavers

The reason I got the switch that allows me to use one battery at a time is because if I think one battery has a problem, or I want to measure the voltage across a single battery, all I have to do is rotate the switch.

If all you want is a way to disconnect a single battery, or all batteries, then a simple on off switch will suffice.

I got my switch at the local West Marine store. Looking at their web site, it looks like the one that I bought is BLUE SEA SYSTEMS # 350A Compact Battery Switches which has a price of $39.99.

I also bought some marine wire. I used that instead of auto wire because it is tinned to reduce corrosion. The price is not very different. Trailers are not exposed to moisture as much as a boat is, but my wire is more exposed than wiring in a car.

If I was paying someone to install it, I would specify that all new wire be marine wire. For existing wire just go ahead and use it as is.

I used crimp on terminal lugs at the end of each wire. Then I soldered the wire to the lug. I don't fully trust crimp on connections in an environment with a lot of vibration.