TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-09-2005, 05:46 AM   #1
Queeniereads

Default On/Off for battery in 3124KS

I am posting this for hubby who wants to know if anyone has designed an exterior on/off switch for the battery in a 3124KS, which has the battery in a rear, sealed compartment. We would like to avoid battery drain when in restaurants, etc. THere! I hope I have got that all right...we are at work and cannot double check the wording. THanks -- Queeniereads aka Judi
Old 11-09-2005, 04:49 PM   #2
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Default Battery Switch

Our 2619 which we bought used, has its battery mounted in the front. It already had an on/off switch mounted on the case. I looked at it one time, and it looked like a pretty simple affair - a rocker switch and wires with post adapters. If you could find the switch, it looks like a 10 minute job. I think the prior owner said he had the battery dealer install the switch when he bought a new deep cycle battery for the TM.
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:45 PM   #3
ameridan

I would think a rotary switch very similiar to this would work out best mounted to the underside of the floor near the battery. This is what is commonly found on boats.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:47 PM   #4
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Queeniereads,
If you tow with your Mercury Mountaineer, AND if it is equipped with Ford's factory installed tow package, you shouldn't need to worry about battery drain on tow vehicle when the trailer is connected and your ignition switch is turned off. Ford's factory tow package includes an isolation relay that disconnects the car battery from the trailer battery. It re-engages the alternator when you start the car so the trailer battery will continue to be charged while you travel.

To verify this works on your vehicle, have hubby check the trailer connection at the rear of the car to find the "hot" 12VDC connection (not the light circuits), then turn off the ignition switch and re-check the "hot" 12VDC pin... you should find there is no voltage there.

Happy travels,