TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-07-2005, 04:37 PM   #1
jackehop41

Default Dining Table loosened

Just returned form my maiden TM voyage of ten days. Appears the dining table has become loose with the screws holding it about a quarter pulled out. Tried to tighten them but could not get them to catch. Any suggestions for fix?

Thanks,

Jack
Old 08-08-2005, 06:54 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Jack -

The common fix for this sort of thing, and one that works pretty well, is to remove the screw, push the butt end of a wooden kitchen match into the hole, break it off flush with the surface, and redrive the screw. If the hole is too small to admit a matchstick, use a couple toothpicks.

Some people drizzle the matchstick or toothpicks with wood glue before inserting them

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 03:36 PM   #3
ameridan

It's been a few years since I've been on this board. Looks like the participation is better than ever! When I complained then about the poor quality (Functionally, not appearance wise) of the dinnette table, the factory stated that I was the only one with a complaint??? I see now that there are several others. I gave up last week when it collapsed again and bought a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood to act as a bedboard instead.

Funny how Trailmanor has solid oak cabinet doors in the bathroom to keep a roll of toilet paper from falling out, but the dinnete table that one or two adults are supposed to be able to sleep on is made with 1/8 inch veneer and some foam . If Trailmanor would rethink the dinnete and produce one from solid wood, I'd buy it, for now I have this bulky piece of sturdy plywood which I have to store under the bed mattress, and three pieces of a table that can no longer be reassembled unless I try this matchstick idea.

That is basically my only beef after 7 years of use (other than those Carlyle tires that both blew out on the same trip).
Old 08-08-2005, 09:07 PM   #4
Joe

Try Gorilla glue instead of wood glue. I've used the technique that Bill suggests several times. The last few times I've used Gorilla glue. It's the best thing I've run across. You'll only need a few drops because it foams up similiar to the foaming insulation. My technique was to squirt some into the hole, then insert the matchstick, toothpick, or large wood splinter. Break them off and then put a drop or two on the end before driving the screw. Don't drive the screw too tight: just get it snug. The glue that oozes out between the wall and the bracket will help strengthen the repair.
Buy the smallest size Gorilla glue. A little goes a long way and what's left in the bottle will eventually get thicker and be hard to use.

Joe
Old 08-08-2005, 10:17 PM   #5
BobRederick

I have found JB Weld to work great for TM repairs also. I grease the screw before putting it back in just in case I ever want to get it back out sometime. JB probably has about the same shelf life as gorilla glue.

Last time out, my living room cieling wiring cover popped off and wouldn't stay in place. I tack glued the wires in in place, then put on the snap-on cover and tacked the ends. It held well while out, but haven't opened the TM since.

I also used it to repair the screws holding the door spring clip that pulled out. That was described in another post and the repair has withstood one more trip out.

Bob
Old 08-09-2005, 08:37 AM   #6
RickNewcomb
Site Sponsor

Just to give you another option, I used plastic expansion anchors/mollies. You'll have to trim the length and use them on all the screws because of the lip on the anchor/molly. I made this repair five years ago and have'nt had a problem with the table since.
RickNewcomb is offline   Reply With Quote