TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-18-2006, 10:54 AM   #1
Michael

Question Swing Hitch Support

Another "newbie" question. Even though I have the stabilizer jacks down, with the main support still on the axel, do I need to maintain support with the trailer tongue jack? I brought it up just enough to allow me to swing the hitch in the garage, but maintained contact with the garage floor. How about at the camp site? Shakedown cruise this Thursday!!

Old 07-18-2006, 11:08 AM   #2
pbuck1

I do it this way:

0. Don't forget to chock the wheels.
1. With the stabilizer jacks up, use the tongue jack to level front to back.
2. Lower the jacks on the low side and level the TM side to side
3. Lower the jacks on the other side to just support the trailer.

So, yes the tongue jack provides support. At a camp site, I leave the wheel off the tongue jack and use blocks of wood underneath ( the jacks have blocks, too).

If, at a campsite, the pad is way off level from side to side, I may drive up onto blocks on the low side to get closer to level before using the jacks.

-Paul
Old 07-18-2006, 11:32 AM   #3
Freedom

We use Lynx Levelers - they are like huge Legos and you just build what you need. (No, That's not my trailer in the pictures!)
Old 07-18-2006, 12:07 PM   #4
wboudx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
Another "newbie" question. Even though I have the stabilizer jacks down, with the main support still on the axel, do I need to maintain support with the trailer tongue jack? I brought it up just enough to allow me to swing the hitch in the garage, but maintained contact with the garage floor. How about at the camp site? Shakedown cruise this Thursday!!

At one time I would level trailer then raise tongue jack. I found out when I do that, I have trouble closing door to TM. Now I level using Paul's procedure, but leave the tongue jack down.

Walt
Old 07-18-2006, 01:10 PM   #5
Bill & Lisa

There is alot of discussion on this topic under the heading of "Scissor Jacks" further down in this section. Here is a link to my posting in that topic
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...?t=2322&page=4

Bill