TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-09-2018, 08:10 AM   #1
Cammo1

Default Rear Bed Bolt and Fire Escape

We took our new to us Trailmanor (2619 year 2004) out for our first voyage this past week. It all went very well. We learned alot but came up with a few questions.

Our rear bed bolt does not line up with the latch on the bathroom wall at all. You can't close it. It is about 3/4" back from the hole in the bathroom wall.

The manual says not to get on the bed unless it is bolted for fear of it tipping out. We did use the bed and it seemed very stable.

So should we work on adjusting this bold so it locks or is it not a big deal? We could block the bed pin out to make it able to work.

Also, while I am on the topic, does the front bed tip out for a fire escape. There is a note on the both windows that says "EXIT, unlatch bed, lift, climb out.
What I don't get is exactly what you 'lift' and where you would climb out?
Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Old 06-09-2018, 06:11 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

There has been a lot of discussion about this bed-tipping thing. My TM does not have EXIT widows, and the rear bed can theoretically tip out if not latched. One or two members have reported that if they lie down on the rear bed and roll right up against the rear wall, it does tip. However, in my trailer, I find that I can lie anywhere on the bed, and it does not tip. As a result, I removed the latch bolt and chucked it - it just got in the way.

Again in my trailer, Emergency Exit means lifting the forward edge of the rear bed (between the wardrobe and the bathroom wall). You would then climb out under this lifted edge. Not too handy, especially if you are in a hurry, but I guess it would work.

I don't have a front bed, so I can't help you there.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:24 PM   #3
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I tried and tried to get the bed in our 2720 to tip down while bouncing up and down next to the rear shell but it wouldn't tip down. We don't use the rear latch either, I almost forgot that it was there before I read this discussion.

I'm thinking that it may be the models with the king bed that might be more prone to tipping down because the bed sticks out further over the back of the trailer.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:02 PM   #4
Jampcourt

This makes sense....and may be the reason that TM began to use breakaway emergency exits when they offered king sized beds. We don't see any way that our bed could fall down. However, we do still latch up just in case!
2014 Ford Explorer with tow package, Tekonsha brake controller, Reese WDH, Renogy 100 W portable solar suitcase, modified for 7 pin plug. (Our battery is up front, under sofa). Modified to fill hot water heater and fresh water tank with unit closed.
Jampcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:10 PM   #5
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

The factory probably has modified their thinking over the years. On my model 2720SD, it has the back bed window that has an emergency exit in of itself. It says fire exit on it and has a handle that allows the entire window to flip open from the bottom. However there have been times we would back up in a site where it goes downhill and the window bottom is about eye level standing on the outside. I would hate to attempt to drop out that window but will certainly do so if smoke and flames are about to kill me.

My latch alignment is about 1/8th off and I need to just lean and push a bit to latch it, which I do.

I did need to do some repairs to the aluminum sheet metal under the bed that forms the roof of the back compartment. So I lifted the bed a bit making sure I was not stressing or bending anything expensive. It worked and I did my repairs.
2011, Model 2720SD, 13.5k btu Dometic Low Profile Penguin II with a user installed Easy-Start modification, "Jack" TV Antenna, 15" Goodyear Marathon 225/75R15D Tires on Alloy Wheels, Swing Hitch, Electric Tongue Jack, Front Window (now an option). Powered with a Honda 2000i or 3000 handi (depending on the weather) generator when dry camping. Powered with two 6V Trojan T145 batteries when I need to run silent and deep. TV = 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab w/ WDH.

Home Port: Western New York.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:00 AM   #6
Jampcourt

I did not make it very clear when I described the breakaway exit.....it is also our back window, as described by Brittany Dogs. We agree that it could be quite a drop, and the size of the window could be limiting to some. Still better than being stuck in the TM, though.
2014 Ford Explorer with tow package, Tekonsha brake controller, Reese WDH, Renogy 100 W portable solar suitcase, modified for 7 pin plug. (Our battery is up front, under sofa). Modified to fill hot water heater and fresh water tank with unit closed.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:40 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Jampcourt -

Is there a stone shield cover over the rear exit window? If so, how do you get this cover open so you can jump out?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:50 AM   #8
Jampcourt

No stone shield....you are correct that we would not be able to get it open in an emergency.

This is our fifth season, and we've had no problems or breakage without the rear shield.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:37 PM   #9
jacjim
Site Sponsor

any chance bathroom wall is not all the way up? if the shower curtain is not inside the confines of wall it will stop the wall from opening all the way. i am talking about the curtain that is mounted to the ceiling
Old 08-03-2018, 08:31 PM   #10
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

If the bed doesn't align with the bathroom wall for the latch to close, the rear shell is misaligned. Problems with the door sections lining up too?

Although lifting the bed is theoretically a fire escape, I doubt it meets any actual legal requirement for a fire escape. Thus, the windows.