TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-08-2004, 09:26 PM   #1
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Default How do you use non-scissor stabilizers?

Our TM came with the fold-down type stabilizers. They have little holes in them on the front side, and we were supplied with a rod that is supposed to be used somehow on them.

The only thing I can figure out to do with the rod is to release them when they're tight, but it doesn't seem like it's necessary because I can't get them tight!

I can't figure out how to make them tighten up against the ground. Have tried sticking the rod in the holes every which way, but to no avail.

Have been thinking about getting some hard rubber to put underneath them. Would like to switch to the scissor jacks eventually, but, in the meantime, is there something I'm not doing right?
B_and_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 11:48 AM   #2
k_and_p_camping

Default Re:How do you use non-scissor stabilizers?

We used to have these type of stabilizers on a tent trailer we owned (pre-trailmanor). It is difficult to eplain how to work them. It would probably be easiest to go to a tent trailer dealer and have them show you how it's done.

I will try to explain it. These jacks consist of the outer tube and on tghe end of the outer tube is the mechanism which holds inner in position. The inner part is a square tube with a series of holes in the front and a slot in the back. Fisrt you swing the jack down until it locks in the down position. Next push down on the plate part of the outer tube (this is the release mechanism) and pull the inner tube down until it reaches the ground. To tighten the jack further requires use of the rod. There is a slot in the outer tube directly above the release mechanism. Put the rod through the highest hole in the inner tube which can be reached through the slot in the outer tube. Angle the rod downward through the slot in the back of the inner tube to where it catches on the outer tube. Pushing down on the rod will then extend the jack further. Repeat until the desired height is reached. To release the jack will require hitting down on the release mechanism with the rod to allow the inner tube to slide back into the outer tube. I hope this helps, it does sould confusing but is simple enough when yhou see it done.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:19 AM   #3
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the info...will try it tonight when I come back from work and let you know what happens!

Old 04-12-2004, 10:19 AM   #4
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I tried it, and it worked! The TM is now much more stable.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:09 AM   #5
camperboy

My 1990 TM has the older style stabilizers. We've always monkeyed around with the tongue jacked to get them tight from to back. Never realized what those holes are meant for. Now I just have to finish building a custom tool to my liking. Thanks!!!!!

Camperboy