TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-07-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
RealJeep

Default Before I buy this, where's the leak?

Looking to buy a 2007 TM but upon inspection I found this leak in the right front of the trailer.
It looks loike someone tried to caulk it but I wonder if there's damage elsewhere? Any TM experts out there care to guess? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leak.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	3429  
Old 04-07-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
Bob&Karen

I would check the roof caulking, especially as that's on the awning side. We had one in a similar location and it was the roof caulking, not the little bit of caulk at the edge of that ceiling trim piece.

Good luck,

Bob
Old 04-07-2009, 02:26 PM   #3
Digger

Wherever the leak is, I'd get rid of that caulking on the inside of the TM.
That is only going to trap the water in the wall/ceiling and will end up doing more damage than good. It needs to be caulked on the outside. Bob’s suggestion is the most likely place to start looking. Fixing a leak is easy, finding a leak not always so easy. Good Luck. Ed
Old 04-07-2009, 03:05 PM   #4
photoadjuster

Default Finding Leak

That location is hard to find the leak. I am trying to stop one in that location now. That location on the roof is were the round nose, that extends down the front, intersects with the outside corner type trim that runs the length of the top section. To compound the problem, the awning traps water there. I have caulked everything twice, but have not been able to stop the leak. The next step is to remove the awning and outside corner trim to see how it is supposted to be sealed.

I am guessing that the metal sheet on the roof is bent down over the sidewall before the outside corner is installed. If so, the awning may be backing up the water and causing it to enter the interior.

I have noticed holes drilled in the outside corners, toward each end, and assume that they are weep holes. If there is a drilled hole in the outside corner at the front right side, the awning covers it up. Possible this is the cause of the leak.

Has anyone seen how the roof and wall are connected before the outside corner is installed.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:10 PM   #5
kenngeri2720

There is white light in that area, I would pull of the lens and then the base to see if it is wet.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:45 PM   #6
rumbleweed

I had a leak in that area in a brand new TM. They are not easy to find as the water tends exit inside in an area different from where it comes in. Two areas I had issues with are the front light seal and the roof to trim piece seal. The easiest way to find these is take a hair dryer on high fan ( warm or no heat) and blow directly at the caulked seam at about 45 degree angle to the roof. Move this along the seam slowly and look for an area where the caulk lifts or flutters a bit. Remove that section of caulk into a solidly caulked region and recaulk. You can confirm that was a problem area as there will be dirt under the removed caulk. Be sure to clean the area well, with alcohol, and recaulk I use 3M 5200 or you can use 4200 which can be removed a little easier.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #7
Alvega007

I had a leak right around the same area. Mine was coming from the outside light. However, that one its to high to be coming from the same light, I think.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:04 PM   #8
RealJeep

Just out of curiousity, if the water does get in someplace where it doesn't belong in this 2007 model what kind of damage can it do? I don't think there's any wood in the walls is there? The black on the wood seems to say that this water has been here for a while, I hope that's not black mold or wood rot.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:08 PM   #9
retiredgoat

Default Window leaked no matter how much caulk was applied

I tried for months to find a leak over the large window (street side) and by the time I figured it out the wood paneling was rotting and got replaced.

I finally pulled up the corner (roof to side wall) molding and bent up the roof material that was extended out past the edge and bent down which allowed me access to really seal the roof to side wall with flow seal.

The job was easier on the street side (no awning to contend with) but still took an afternoon to peel up and lay back down with sealer inside. Also the bottom of the corner trim gets caulked so water does not have a chance to run uphill.

This was a perfect time to replace the screw cover on the trim (mine looked [bad] when I purchased ).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Panel removed.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	344.5 KB
ID:	3435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mural install 1.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	358.2 KB
ID:	3436  
Old 04-13-2009, 08:31 AM   #10
photoadjuster

Default Question

Does any one know if the roof material extends out past the edge and bends down over the side on a aluminum framed TM like is does with the wood framed TM?

<< I finally pulled up the corner (roof to side wall) molding and bent up the roof material that was extended out past the edge and bent down which allowed me access to really seal the roof to side wall with flow seal. >>