TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-03-2015, 03:23 PM   #1
camp2canoe

Default New battery?

Hello, old friends. We see lots of new names on the Forum and that's a good thing - but we hope some of the "oldsters" are still around.

Traded TM in on a new Keystone Bullet in 11/12. Was surprised to see that this relatively expensive camper was equipped with a regular starting battery with a 12 month warranty as opposed to a good deep cell battery. While we've been good about not discharging it fully, topping it off with distilled water and leaving it on a smart trickle charger, it's time to replace it. We guess it did better than it was designed for.

Our question is, should we just go buy a good deep cell replacement or would we be better served by investing in one of those AGM replacements? Any suggestions would be appreciated. - camp2canoe

P.S. We still camp twice a year with our Trailblazer Charter Chapter friends as part of a contingent known as "SOBs" - affectionate terminology for those who now camp in some other brand. We are hosting a rally in Shipshewana, Indiana, at Shipshewana Campground North September 25-27 that was too late in conception to make the schedule. If anyone might be interested in joining us feel free to PM us for information.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:09 PM   #2
Padgett
TrailManor Master

My experience is that AGMs cost 2x as much and last about 4x as long. If I had to go to just one 12v it would be the grp 31 marine AGM from Sam's for about $180.

Is sometimes surprising where mfrs save money.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:50 AM   #3
Carolina Camper

Post This might help with your decision

After reading multiple posts about batteries on the forum, I was still a bit confused as to which was the best combination for TM use. I found this site (http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/artic...ry-basics.html) which really helped me see that the answer to "What is the best battery for RVs?" is "It depends." The article gave me a much better understanding of the differences in the battery choices and how to select one for different applications and conditions. I hope you find it helpful too.
Carolina Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:43 PM   #4
Padgett
TrailManor Master

That is why I use a spreadsheet & create an energy budget. Battery requirements just fall out.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:48 PM   #5
camp2canoe

Default New battery?

Thanks for the replies and the informative article. My apologies to Keystone - when I removed the battery from the case it was a deep cycle, albeit with a 12 month warranty.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:17 PM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

As I mentioned recently in another thread, I think the main AGM vs. flooded cell issue is simply dependent upon whether you want to spend the extra cash for AGM to avoid having to keep the batteries topped off.

I'm on year 8 of my current set of Trojan T-105s. Can't ask for more than that.

As to AGM's being ventless that can be stored anywhere, and being resistant to freezing when discharged, that may be the case, but that's of little consequence in a TM installation.

So IMHO, the main difference in the flooded cell vs AGM decision, in context of using them in a TM, is maintenance. That being said, I hate that chore in my 2720SL.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:49 PM   #7
Wingedryder

In my area I've found that locating one of the AGM batteries recommended here on the Forum is difficult at best. Seems the mfrs produce only so many every few years. Near as I can figure, the demand for these in camper trailers is limited as most opt for the traditional 12V "wet cells".
Wingedryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:47 AM   #8
Padgett
TrailManor Master

One of the advantages of living in Orlando is that just about anything is available here and often for less than where it is made.

Is a great place for intoducing new products that the tourists then take home and show their friends.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:10 PM   #9
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingedryder View Post
In my area I've found that locating one of the AGM batteries recommended here on the Forum is difficult at best. Seems the mfrs produce only so many every few years. Near as I can figure, the demand for these in camper trailers is limited as most opt for the traditional 12V "wet cells".
One advantage of AGM's vs. a flooded cell is that they can be shipped readily. So that opens up retailers nationwide. I've very recently seen 6V batteries that I perceive as high quality (Lifeline) that replace my Trojan T-105s for $299 each delivered.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote