TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
drdana

Default counter above fridge getting hot

Just bought a tm 31 foot on return trip the counter top got very hot above the fridge. I contacted the dealer and they suggested that I run the fridge on dc while travelling. our second trip it was still slightly warm, not near as hot as the first but the weather was very cool. is this normal?
Old 03-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

No, it is not normal, and running it on DC instead of AC or propane is neither an explanation or a fix - or an acceptable alternative.

You may be aware that an absorption refrig (that's what is in most RVs including the TM) makes cold inside the refrig by running a heat source in the back. The heat source can be powered by AC electricity (120 VAC), DC electricity (12 VDC), or propane. Regardless of which you use at any given time, it is important to remove the heat from behind the refrig, or it will build up and cause what you are seeing.

You say it got "very hot" (not just warm) while you were traveling, so I gather that it was running on propane at the time. The first question is, did you have the refrigerator vent fan turned on? It should be on whenever the refrig is running with the TM closed, regardless of the heat source. The switch is on the front of the sink panel, and you can hear the fan start when you turn it on.

Second question. If you remove the outside panels that cover the refrig mechanism (there are two panels, upper and lower - remove them both), you should be able to see a length of white dryer hose hanging from near the top of the upper opening down to the floor. The fan is mounted on the floor, and the lower end of the dryer hose should cover the fan. Confirm that it does, confirm that the top of the hose is open and not blocked, and confirm that the hose itself is not clogged.

Finally, with the fan running, put your hand under the TM at the location of the fan. You will find a screened hole, about 3 inches in diameter, and you should be able to feel air being blown out of the hole.

Let us know what you find. We'll go from there.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
rumbleweed

If the fan is not running, check to see if there is any foreign material stuck between the fan blades and the screen. Sometimes a piece of foam from the edge of the cut hole will clog the fan.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

This is probably redundant to the other two posts, but the fridge fan duct can get out of place and cause problems (as happened to us here): http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=7605
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
Scott O

There have also been reports of the fan blades running in reverse direction. That is blowing air up instead of sucking it out down the previously mentioned white tube. Put your hand below the fan and you will feel direction. Should it be incorrect, the fix is as simple as reversing the wires.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
drdana

ok thanks to all I will check it out and see what I find.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
Tampajohn

Default Thanks much

I had no idea the fan needed to be running when the fridge was running on propane when closed. Thanks so much. John

Another DAH moment.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
rumbleweed

The fan must be running when running on any power source when closed. All modes generate heat that must be exhausted to have the fridge work.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:43 AM   #9
MisterP

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I would not run the fridge on propane when traveling. The boiler is well shielded, but air pressures when traveling could blow out the flame. The safety systems on the TM might restart it or shut off the gas, but why take the chance.

A bigger safety issue in my mind is two-fold. One, open propane tanks are not permitted in many tunnels and in some urban areas. Two, you are breaking the law and creating risk if you pull into a gas station to fill your vehicle with an open flame running in the trailer.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:49 AM   #10
rumbleweed

There are several Tunnels in Maryland that prohibit propane tanks over 2lbs ( open or closed). I prefer to freeze plastic water bottles and place them in the freezer and leave Fridge off or on electric until arriving at destination. If fridge is full of cold items and frozen bottles in freezer, it stays cold for quite some time.