TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-10-2017, 08:35 AM   #1
nwhouston

Default Well placed handle to aid opening the front

Has anyone found a place on the front top section to put a handle (aka grip point) to aid getting the front moving when opening the trailer? While ours is reasonably easy to open the challenge is always reaching over the tongue to get purchase. I am just over 6' tall, so my one arm can reach the center, but I am usually struggling to get a few fingers under the edge to get started. Ours does not 'pop up' when the latches are released, as our back section does. I know I can fiddle with the front to back level to aid this step, and sometimes that is the answer. But if there is a proven pull point that can be added to help, I would like to try that mod. Thanks.

Larry
2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L 6 speed auto
+P3 brake controller
nwhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:51 PM   #2
rmHaar

What I do is push it back a bit by the top and it made the bottom lift off the stops so I could get my hand underneath.
rmHaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:12 PM   #3
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Maybe a quarter turn on the torque arm adjustment while open. Need to be sure bar has some adjustment left first. Have never had a problem grabbing, it is just the initial lift.

Just make sure it is not all of the way at the top of the slot already, the screw raises the bar.

Looks like TM needed a fix for the bar backing out of the slot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	torqueadjslot.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	15949  
Old 08-10-2017, 03:06 PM   #4
nwhouston

Padgett, from your picture I am not sure what you mean by adjustment. Surely not the little banded clamp. I don't see any thing else to turn. Thanks.
+P3 brake controller
Old 08-10-2017, 03:19 PM   #5
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Sorry, underneath the bar is a large bolt head pointing down (can see some of the threads in photo). This takes a 1 1/8" wrench commonly on combination hitch ball wrenches found nearly everywhere.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	torquerodadjuster.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	15951  
Old 08-10-2017, 03:21 PM   #6
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

This is the best picture I've found of those torque arm adjustment bolts. Now please keep in mind this picture is actually upside down. But you can clearly see the bolts for each of the spring bars.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shell adjustment bolts.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	15952  
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:49 PM   #7
nwhouston

Default Clear pic of adjustment bolt

Thanks, I had seen that bolt when I was crawling around under the rig. Assumed that was what you experienced users were referring to with these torsion bar adjustments.

I am not quite ready to take that step, but when I do I assume I need to adjust all four on either given shell piece?
+P3 brake controller
Old 08-10-2017, 04:52 PM   #8
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Unless out of balance I generally give all four on an end a quarter turn then see how it feels. That is generally enough. Just be very careful of the ones in the middle that you are adjusting the correct bar.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:54 PM   #9
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwhouston View Post
Has anyone found a place on the front top section to put a handle (aka grip point) to aid getting the front moving when opening the trailer? While ours is reasonably easy to open the challenge is always reaching over the tongue to get purchase. I am just over 6' tall, so my one arm can reach the center, but I am usually struggling to get a few fingers under the edge to get started. Ours does not 'pop up' when the latches are released, as our back section does. I know I can fiddle with the front to back level to aid this step, and sometimes that is the answer. But if there is a proven pull point that can be added to help, I would like to try that mod. Thanks.

Larry
Actually, I think a handle is an excellent idea! One similar to the one on the underside of the bed platforms would be enough. But I'm thinking that with the aluminum, foam filled walls, nothing would hold well, it would just eventually rip right out of the aluminum.

As a side note, I don't even attempt to lift the from from the middle - no way I'd be able to reach in there, and even if I could, lifting all twisted like that - leaning in - would wreck havoc on my back, I have no doubt. I lift from the curb side, pretty much center myself between the side and the tongue. It hasn't ever presented any issues, and actually, if you look in the original Trailmanor Owner Manual, the photo showing the girl lifting the front shell is standing between the curb side & the tongue, and lifting from there. By her body position, it's clear that she doesn't have her far side hand near the center of the front shell.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:53 AM   #10
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Agree, for long term screws on a plastic lifting handle are a bad idea. The one on my slide broke and I replaced with a four screw metal handle of the same height, #10 stainless through screws cut to length & with captive nuts and fender washers to spread the load at minimum protrusion.. Could pull slide out with TV or winch and not break or deform the wall.

Must admit for me the harder part is opening. To close all I need to do is push and stand in the stirrups. Possibly my torsion bars need to be tighter but for longevity I tend to tighten such only as much as necessary.