TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #1
ICE_BREAKER68

Unhappy Dry Rotted Seals

Hello,
I am new to TM and I have enjoyed reading other's posts as they are helpful for a newbie like me, however, I have a question for you pro's. I have a 2000 3124KB I just purchased and I noticed that the side seals under the front bed were dripping water. I realized that it looks like someone had stuffed it with wood on the left side and a broom handle on the right side. First, is there supposed to be wood in that area? Both the left and the right side had wood that was dry rotted and there was water dripping from there. I had just rained, so how is the water making its way to the seal? I looked for replacement parts, but, I have not been able to find a website that identifies these parts. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Alex
Old 10-12-2014, 07:28 PM   #2
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE_BREAKER68 View Post
Hello,
I am new to TM and I have enjoyed reading other's posts as they are helpful for a newbie like me, however, I have a question for you pro's. I have a 2000 3124KB I just purchased and I noticed that the side seals under the front bed were dripping water. I realized that it looks like someone had stuffed it with wood on the left side and a broom handle on the right side. First, is there supposed to be wood in that area? Both the left and the right side had wood that was dry rotted and there was water dripping from there. I had just rained, so how is the water making its way to the seal? I looked for replacement parts, but, I have not been able to find a website that identifies these parts. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Alex
The 2000 model did have wood in this areas. The later or newer models went to an aluminum channel. The water intrusion may be coming from the roof, walls or window. The roof has a center line which may require sealed. The rain may be coming in and gravity takes it out to the walls and down. The wood rot will impact the hold down clamps which have lag screws. The lag screws can pull out while traveling due to the bounce factor of the roofs on the highway. There is a factory repair kit to upgrade from two lag screws to four ea. Its recommended to upgrade if you've have rot in this critical area. You can also slip an aluminum channel in place through the upper roof door frame.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:06 PM   #3
ICE_BREAKER68

RVCG,
Thanks a bunch for the quick reply. My next door neighbor had a 2007 and he had no idea about the wood being in there. I will definitely get in contact with my TM dealer to see if I can get the aluminum rails. I just don't see or understand how this area affects the hold down clamps. Either way, I need to seal any area that is allowing water to get to the seals below the front bed. I may have to check the side seals under the rear bed. Is there TM website I can go to, to order replacement parts. I have searched and I come up with nothing.

Again,

Thank you very much
Old 10-14-2014, 01:33 AM   #4
MariaG

Hi,

We have a 1986 TM and have replaced the wood in 3 of the 4 walls (so far) with aluminum. You might find some of the pics on my blog helpful. Click on the link in my signature below.

Good luck!

MariaG
See my TrailManor Repair blog at:
http://trailmanorrepair.blogspot.com/
MariaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:57 PM   #5
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE_BREAKER68 View Post
RVCG,
Thanks a bunch for the quick reply. My next door neighbor had a 2007 and he had no idea about the wood being in there. I will definitely get in contact with my TM dealer to see if I can get the aluminum rails. I just don't see or understand how this area affects the hold down clamps. Either way, I need to seal any area that is allowing water to get to the seals below the front bed. I may have to check the side seals under the rear bed. Is there TM website I can go to, to order replacement parts. I have searched and I come up with nothing.

Again,

Thank you very much
You would not necessarily need to use TM for the aluminum bar stock. Most big box stores home improvement stores should have it. Square stock, possibly 1in. Remove the door frame hinge and you can peer through the channel in the bottom of the upper roof. The hold down clamp hook bar are secured 1/2 way down this lower edge. Not the clamps for the 4 corners, the hold down bracket that holds the roofs down when traveling. Check those lag screws for wood rot.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote