TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-25-2008, 10:08 PM   #1
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Default Anyone ever take Kaiser Pass Road?

I'm thinking about going camping this weekend in some areas that require travel on Kaiser Pass Trail / Forest Route 80 in the Southern Sierras. This road is apparently one-lane with blind curves, and several sources say it's not recommended for large RV's, while others limit it further saying any trailer is not recommended. I'm trying to get a sense as to how it would be with a TM. Has anyone ever driven it?

I've been on the Chimney Peak Backcountry Byway, and didn't think that was bad, as well as Mt. Mingus Recreation Area in Arizona. I found the ladder more challenging, but still passable.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:00 AM   #2
Scott O

A friend has ridden the "Climb the Kaiser" bicycle ride numerous times. He talks of an 18% grade at one point and speaks of the ride in low and reverent tones! I will be interested to hear comments from those who have done it in a car. A grade that steep for a short distance doesn't bother me going up, but coming down is a different issue. And by the way in case anyone is wondering, I have never even been remotely interested in doing that ride on a bicycle... Dave, you might "Google Earth" the road and see just how tight it is. Might give you some visual idea.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
O2BOutside

Default Kaiser Pass Road

I am very familiar with this route. I have traveled it many times in the tens years I have been in this area. I would say it depends on when you travel this road and your final destination. The best time to go with a trailer is when the trash truck goes there on its weekly run get behind this thing and you have it made. There are some very steep areas and very tight turns. But, the trip is worth it! I will say I have seen an Airstream in a campground by Edison Lake which is the end of the road. So, it is doable. ShrimpBurrito did you ever do this trip?
Old 01-10-2009, 11:41 PM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

No, I didn't. We ended up going somewhere else less risky, as I wasn't able to get a feel for it and didn't feel like making it a white knuckle weekend. I'm glad to know it's doable though, but I think synchronizing with the trash truck would be a little challenging.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #5
CAmark
Site Sponsor

Been up there but not with a trailer in tow...it is a long slow ride even in a car. For myself, with a Honda Pilot, I would opt for a different route -- more for the descent than going up.

mark
or 04 Pilot w/ Tow Package
Prodigy Brake Controller; Husky 800/1200 WDH; McKesh Mirrors
2006 2720SL; A/C; awning; swing hitch; 14" NEXEN Load Range D tires
CAmark is offline   Reply With Quote