TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-28-2008, 08:21 PM   #1
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Default ??? Advertised length

Trailmanor advertises the 2720 as being 27' when opened.

I measured ours and it is 24'. How do they get away with advertising it as 27'?.................just curious.......
http://www.trailmanor.com/WebDocs/Sh...lectModel.html
Old 10-28-2008, 08:26 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

It's the "equivalent" length of a regular 27' trailer.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:39 PM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D View Post
It's the "equivalent" length of a regular 27' trailer.
What exactly does that mean????? It makes no sense to me.

The lower box is 14.5' and the upper shells are 24' I would think that it would be equivalent to a 20' travel trailer

Besides their website clearly states, " Model 2720 27' (Open) - Sleeps 6 - 2742lbs".
Old 10-28-2008, 08:56 PM   #4
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

perhaps this is the logic: A regular upright travel trailer that has a 24-foot long living area will have a 3-foot tongue attached and be called a 27-foot trailer by its manufacturer.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:45 AM   #5
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I believe the statement you are referring to is on the "floorplans" page. I'm thinking that they're trying to say the floorplan shown is with the trailer "open", not that it's 27' long when open. It may make more sense for them to say "shown open" instead of just "open" or just leave out the " 27' " part.

The specifications page states that the length is 23' 11".
http://trailmanor.com/WebDocs/Showroom/Specs/specs.html
Old 10-29-2008, 03:10 PM   #6
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D View Post
I believe the statement you are referring to is on the "floorplans" page. I'm thinking that they're trying to say the floorplan shown is with the trailer "open", not that it's 27' long when open. It may make more sense for them to say "shown open" instead of just "open" or just leave out the " 27' " part.

The specifications page states that the length is 23' 11".
http://trailmanor.com/WebDocs/Showroom/Specs/specs.html

Sorry but I don't know how it could be taken any other way than exactly how it is written......"Model 2720 27' (Open) - Sleeps 6 - 2742lbs".

That statement says that it it is Model 2720 and that it's 27' (Open), that it sleeps 6 and weighs 2742lbs. There is no other way to take that statement unless it is read in a different language.

I just find deceptive advertising extremely distasteful and it usually says volumes about the manufacturer.

I personally don't care because I purchased an older unit and bought it for what it is and I love it. However, if I were a buyer of a new unit, this would be a definite turn-off. If I took a tape measure to it before I purchased, I would back-out. If I took a tape to it after I purchased, I'd be seeing an attorney. This also makes me wonder about their weight and other claims that they have in their ads.

The Trailmanor is a nice camper. It seems to be well built and they seem to have put some thought into the appliances and fixtures that they use. I don't understand the need to embellish the product to be something that it isn't when it is so much in the 1st place.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:28 PM   #7
Tuscany Bandit

Wayne,

I can understand your frustration.

When you took the measurements when opened did you measure from the VERY back of the shell to the Very front of the coupler, with the swing-a-way tongue (if you have one) in place as in towing? That lenght should be the 27 foot.

The next question might be...is your 1998 model any different from the newer models as to lenght?

I have the 2720SL, but it is in the garage so I can't measure it when opened.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:23 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany Bandit View Post
Wayne,

I can understand your frustration.

When you took the measurements when opened did you measure from the VERY back of the shell to the Very front of the coupler, with the swing-a-way tongue (if you have one) in place as in towing? That length should be the 27 foot.

The next question might be...is your 1998 model any different from the newer models as to length?

I have the 2720SL, but it is in the garage so I can't measure it when opened.
I measured from the front most point of the trailer (which is the top shell) to the rear most point of the trailer (which is also the top shell).

I measured the trailer when I took the picture below, with the trailer open and hitched to the TV. The top shell extends beyond the trailer tongue (by about 2") and far beyond the rear bumper and spare tire.

The new trailers are exactly the same.

I just feel that TM has created a controversy that didn't need to be created. All they had to do is call it a 2420 and say that it is 24' (open). I just don't see the upside to calling it a 27'. That's kinda like calling a 24' Catalina sailboat a Catalina 27 because the manufacturer thinks that it looks bigger than it is.

My daughter has a 27' Travel trailer. There is NO WAY that you can compare the 2 trailers. They have a full walk-around queen size bedroom forward that you can walk around and sit on the bed. There is a full size livingroom with a separate dinette. A full size refrigerator freezer and 3 bunk-beds and a real bathroom with a full stall shower. Their trailer is also 8' wide instead of 7'7" wide. That makes a big difference. To state that the 2720 is comparable to a 27' travel trailer is simply laughable.

I realize that the TM is not about "size". It is about towing and storing. I just don't understand why TM makes an issue about something that they don't need to. It just seems reckless, irresponsible and down-right dishonest.

I just think that whoever is responsible for their marketing took liberties that were not necessary.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:01 PM   #9
Tuscany Bandit

Wayne,

I couldn't agree with you more.

I would suggest contacting TrailManor and let them know of your findings!

I will be taking out our 2727 SL on the 7th of November for four days and will check the lenght and post the results.

Jerry
Old 10-29-2008, 05:53 PM   #10
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany Bandit View Post
Wayne,

I couldn't agree with you more.

I would suggest contacting TrailManor and let them know of your findings!

I will be taking out our 2727 SL on the 7th of November for four days and will check the lenght and post the results.

Jerry
There's no upside to telling them something that they already know. As B_and_D posted earlier, their spec sheet states "Body Length - Open - 23'11' ". This contradicts their own advertising and indeed the (supposed) meaning of the model #.