TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-19-2003, 01:50 PM   #1
RandP

Default Just wrote the check

First time post, so here goes.  we have had a picture of a Trail Manor on the refrig for the last 5 years.  We always seemed to find a reason not to get one.  We have had RVs in the past but they were used and wanted to get something new.  Talked the boss into going to the Pomona fair last year and there sat Custom RV and out came the check book. Bought a 03 2720 SL and took delivery a week ago.   I have aways had a Class C and havent pulled a trailer in 20 plus years.  It went down the road like a charm.  As someone who just bought one here are a few tips to anyone else who is thinking of getting one.  1.  Know your dealer, the folks at Custom are very good, dont push and will do what they can to give you what you want.  I decided to replace the one 12v with 2 6 volt batts. and they did it in about 20mins. 2. Get the options you want when you buy.  Though they come pretty well equiped its more expensive aftermarket and the options roll into the financing. 3. DO NOT LEAVE UNTIL YOU HAVE COMPLETELY OPENED, CLOSED AND TRIED OUT EVERYTHING. our furnance would not go on because of a bad connection. Better they look for it than me. 4. Give yourself plenty of time.  We were there for 5 hours and between putting on the hitch, fixing the furance and us trying to get it up and down properly we probabily could have used 5 more. 5. Pick the time to stay out of rush hour traffic. That first drive will get your attention. 6. When you get home and try to open it DONT PANIC.  I have found you cant hurt it and if you take your time everything does fall into place.  6.  We have to keep ours in the garage due to covenents, a dolly does help and the swinging hitch makes the difference,  7 Last, dont skimp on the hitch. Without the load levelier the back of our Dakota Quad Cab dropped 4 inches and thats dry weight.  With it the back end actually set up a half inch higher than it would without the trailer hooked on.  Look forward to seeing you on the road and if anyone thinks its worthwhile will report what us newbys have learned and pass on to others that might be thinking of taking the plunge.

R and P

Old 04-19-2003, 02:13 PM   #2
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Just wrote the check

Congrats on the new TM.  You will love it, I am certain.
I always look forward to the NEXT time I take it out...each time makes our decision to get it seem more and more perfect!

Enjoy and let us know how the "shake-down" goes.

Larry
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 04:21 PM   #3
BobWilson
Site Sponsor

Sounds great.  I just ordered mine from Custom RV a week and a half ago.  How long did it take before it was ready for pick-up after the date they told you it would be finished at the factory?  Estimated time of completion from the factory for mine is April 28.  Five hours of instruction and check out?  Wow.  Thanks for the tip on the batteries, I should do that too.

Bob W.
Poway, CA
BobWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 03:16 AM   #4
Windbreaker

RandP, soulds like you are almost ready to let the good times roll. I'm sure you will enjoy your new toy (or is that tow-y).

Just one little thing, if your WDH is causing the rear of your truck to move up a little you need to back off on setting the bars. If set correctly both the front and the rear should drop a tad. That is when you know all axles are doing their fair share.
Old 04-20-2003, 06:28 AM   #5
RandP

Thanks for the info on the hitch.  I ordered mine in the fall for delayed delivery but I understand it takes 45 plus days for manufacture, shipping and prep.  
RandP in Escondido