TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-24-2003, 01:29 PM   #1
OrangeKid

Default Trailmanor on Gravel Roads

We are considering purchasing a Trailmanor this summer or fall.  As we live in Vegas we would probably tow it, in come cases, over graded gravel roads.  The tow vehicle will produce a lot of dust and we were wondering how well sealed the Trailmanor is to dust when it is folded down. Would the windows along the side get covered with fine dust on the inside?  How about the inside of the trailer?

Last summer we towed a Starcraft tent trailer around 80 miles over a gravel road.  When we opened it every surface was covered with fine dust and the screws in the heater had come off and they along eith parts of the heater were all over the floor.

Will the Trailmanor do better?

Steve and Alice
Old 04-24-2003, 02:59 PM   #2
grkman1

Default Re: Trailmanor on Gravel Roads

Hi there

Last summer we went out west with our TM, and when we were in Arizona, we couldnt beleive how windy and dusty it was.  Every nook and cranny on the outside was full of the "red" Arizona dust.  When traveling with the unit closed, there was no evidence of the dust and dirt on the inside of our unit.

Trailmanors are quite solid and airtight.  Although the wind was a bit rough during the day and evening, the TM was just as solid and  tight as any regular travel trailer.  Good luck with your choice.

George
Old 04-25-2003, 05:10 AM   #3
Windbreaker

We have had ours on dirt a few times. The first time the trailer got dusty so I tracked down the source and found it to be that the wheel welds had not been caulked where they met the body. After doing that, we've had no problems.
Old 04-25-2003, 08:40 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I will echo Windbreaker - the wheel wells may need recaulking around the liners.  Mine certainly did.

Two other thoughts for your consideration.  First, consider getting mud flaps for the tow vehicle.  When we tow in slushy spring weather, a thick layer of slushy ice builds up on the front of the TM, kicked up by the tow vehicle.  I have to assume that if slush is kicked up, then gravel will be, too.

Second, I am a bit disturbed that the lowest thing under the TM is the unprotected copper gas tubing.  If the TM bottoms out on a rut or a rock, it could easily rip the tubing right out. I have considered rerouting it, but I am not a gas professional, so I have hesitated.  I have also considered slipping some foam pipe insulation onto the pipe, which would at least protect it from flying stones.  Haven't done it yet, though.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 09:50 AM   #5
Windbreaker

Bill, did you all get those 2" lifts for the TM? They sure took a lot of worry out of the plumbing concerns for us.
Old 04-25-2003, 11:56 AM   #6
OrangeKid

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like keeping the wheel wells well caulked is important. We were planning to get the 2619 with the factory lift kit.

Another question, how do Trailmanor owners take bikes along. Where do they mount them. Ditto for canoes.

Custom RV in Anaheim, Ca is our nearest dealer. Any comments about this dealer?

Steve and Alice
Old 04-25-2003, 02:43 PM   #7
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Steve
Take a look at the topic TIPS & TRICKS. On page 1, there is a topic about bike racks. Click on to that and you will get a good education from Rick Newcomb.
Hope it helps ??? :

Bob Strong
BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 02:52 PM   #8
OrangeKid

Bob:

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Steve and Alice
Old 04-25-2003, 02:55 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Ha!  Lots of stories here!

First, we did not get the lift kit, because we have about 1/4" of clearance under our garage door, and an HOA that says THOU SHALT PARK IT IN THE GARAGE!  Other than that, lifts sound like a good idea.  Wade has some good experience and may chime in here.

Bikes?  We carry two, occasionally three, on a carrier on the rear tailgate of our Explorer.  Only problems?  We have to disconnect the TM from the Explorer before opening the TM, or the front shell hits the bikes.  And we can't open the tailgate of the Explorer, so everything in the "way back"  has to come out of the rear doors.

Canoes?  We carry two kayaks on the roof rack of the Explorer.  Works great.  I'm not sure that it is as easy to carry them on the roof of the TM, because the extra weight makes it hard to open unless you adjust the tension on the torsion bars.  There was a thread on this topic a few months back.  To find it, click SEARCH, enter keyword CANOE, and be sure to set the time to 400 days or more.

Fair warning.  If you go down the road with a truck, a trailer, a couple bikes on the back, a couple boats on the top, a dog and a cat, covered in dust - well, you'll be the butt of a lot of jokes.  You tend to look like the Joads, escaping the Oklahoma Dust Bowl in the 30's.  I'm still looking for a copy of that picture, by the way, Granny and the furniture stacked on the old pickup truck ... Can anyone point me to a source?

Hope this helps

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 03:03 PM   #10
flyday

Lift kit? Who has them?
Dick ???