TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-11-2008, 05:17 PM   #1
Al-n-Sue

Smile First look at our 3124kb

We were finally able to take a look at the 2003 3124kb we bought, sight unseen, about 10 days ago. (that is a long story :-) ) It had not even been opened yet and looked like it might have been closed in storage all winter. (That is why the dealer really didn't want me to see it yet! But now I get a "before" and "after" comparison!)

Two things stickout - 1) the bumper is the old style square type and 2) the A/C is not the low profile - both 2003 changes. The salesman thinks that the model may have been an early 2003 before some of the changes. The A/C IS on the front shell so it is definately a 2003. Does anyone have comments or observations about the square bumper vs. the new sleeker bumper? Full size A/C is not an issue since we won't be storing in a garage.

The previous owner(s) made a few mods that proved to be interesting and I'm wondering if anyone here has done something similar-or has comments.

He put a standard TM hanger bracket on the shower wall and hung a small medicine cabinet (with mirror) on the wall. Can't tell how it might infringe on the shower.

He also had fashioned (or purchased) a screen. I can't tell if the owner was the creator or not. But it is made of about 1/2 or 3/4 inch PVC, with patches of velcro on it, and a piece of screen with matching pieces of velcro. It slips into two holes drilled in the top of the lower door. It comes apart and a bungee cord inside keeps everything together (like typical tent frames today). I saw some instructions with the name of Hal Swanson (I think).

They had wired extra speakers in the rear bed for the AM/FM/CD player and mounted the speaker on the typical TM brackets. Looks like you just connect the wires and hang the speakers.

There were some brackets attached on the outside that looked like an external table may have been attached. Has anyone ever done or seen this?

It has the over sink cabinet and I plan to add an over stove cabinet. I'll probably add an electric tongue jack as well. I really like the new latches the TM has added to the Dutch door, so I may have that added as well.

I'd appreciate hearing comments or suggestions from any of you "experienced" owners!

Looking forward to some great camping this year!
Alan
Old 03-11-2008, 06:35 PM   #2
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Default screen plans were from forum member hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-n-Sue View Post
He also had fashioned (or purchased) a screen. I can't tell if the owner was the creator or not. But it is made of about 1/2 or 3/4 inch PVC, with patches of velcro on it, and a piece of screen with matching pieces of velcro. It slips into two holes drilled in the top of the lower door. It comes apart and a bungee cord inside keeps everything together (like typical tent frames today). I saw some instructions with the name of Hal Swanson (I think).
http://trailmanorowners.com/forum/sh...ad.php?p=20808
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Al and Sue -

Our 2002 TM (bought in Oct 2001) had the A/C on the front shell. If you really want to determine the model year of your TM, you need to check the VIN. There have been a couple discussions within the last couple months, and I think wmtire provided the definitive info.

As for the square bumper, I kind of liked it, once I did a couple things.
1. There are some sheet metal screws that poke through to the inside of the tube and nick the sewer hose. Just unscrew the screws, file off the sharp point, and put the screws back.
2. I got real tired of fighting with the square rubber cover that closes the end of the tube. On my TM, it fit very tightly, and I had to carry a mallet to mash it back into place. I finally ripped the rubber cover out of the left end (road side) of the bumper tube and threw it away. Then I drilled two holes, one in the top and one in the bottom of the bumper tube, about half an inch from the end of the tube, and centered fore-and-aft. Went to the hardware store, and bought a 6-inch aluminum nail. Stuff the slinky into the bumper, drop the nail through the two holes to keep the hose from coming out, and all is well. And the bumper tube drains better than it did with the rubber cap in place.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:20 PM   #4
Al-n-Sue

Great advice Bill. In fact when I checked the sewer tubes in the bumper, I had a hard time getting the caps back in as well.

Interesting about the A/C - I had always been told that '03 was when that changed - maybe it was just the bumper design and the change to low profile? Anyway, glad I got the forward A/C - I think it will distribute air a lot better.
Al
Old 03-12-2008, 07:02 AM   #5
mtnguy

Our 2003 (Manufactured in March 03) still had the square bumper......thank goodness. I actually like that storage area for the nasty slinky hose.

I saw a 2004 at an RV dealership (non TM dealer) that had the plastic bumper, so that might have been the 1st year for that.

I like Bill' s idea for getting rid of the rubber plug, but for the time being a size 13 shoe sole does the trick.

Our 2003 also has the low profile AC, so maybe your unit was manufactured earlier than ours. The Recreational Vehicle Data Card that came with our unit still has a place listed for the side AC.....a Fedders model.

Chap
Old 03-19-2008, 05:05 PM   #6
Al-n-Sue

As for the rubber bumper plug - I found these at Camping World - http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...34416&src=SRQB
Alan
Old 03-19-2008, 05:09 PM   #7
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-n-Sue View Post
As for the rubber bumper plug - I found these at Camping World - http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...34416&src=SRQB
Alan

When 1 of my current plugs comes up missing.

Chap
Old 03-19-2008, 08:59 PM   #8
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Congrats on your TM! I hope you post pics...I would love to see the mods that came with it.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote