TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-17-2007, 11:22 PM   #1
tangell

Default Furnace Blower Won't Come On

I was getting my TM ready for a camping trip to Bristol next weekend. I was testing out all of the gas applicances, and everything worked fine except the furnace. I wanted to make sure it would work ok on battery. I moved thermostat lever from off and the blower came on for about 30-45 seconds and went off. I could never get it to come on again even on shore power. I know the fuse isn't blown because my radio is still running, and it uses the same fuse. I have taken the cover off of the thermostat to check things, but I really don't know what I am looking for. I have read most of the furnace posts on this site as well as elsewhere on the internet. Everything points to a thermostat problem up to and including replacement. Before I do that, I figured I would see if anyone had any troubleshooting ideas. I will add that my TM was new in Sep and has only been used once. I did test the furnace on the first trip, and it seemed to work ok.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:27 AM   #2
PopBeavers

I had a similar situation at home recently with the electric clothes dryer. I was certain that it was one of the two thermostats causing the problem, but wanted to determine which one.

A thermostat is nothing more than a switch. It is either open or closed. For my dryer one is used to control the temperature of the heat and the other is a safety switch incase the first one fails and things just get too hot.

I disconnected the pair of wires from one thermostat at a time and shorted them together. Sure enough, when bypassing one thermostat it started working. So now I knew which one to replace.

My radio is on a fuse by itself. My furnace blower is on a fuse by itself. Use a volt meter to determine if you have power at the blower motor.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:47 AM   #3
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

A similar problem has been previously discussed in the forum. An advanced search on the words "furnace preheat" may help.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is offline   Reply With Quote