TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-08-2009, 07:11 AM   #1
rimartin58
Site Sponsor

Default Refrig doesn't cool on 12 volts

My fridge doesn't seem to cool at all on 12v. I'm thinking I've got a power problem, but I haven't run it down yet.

I'm interested in the idea of running the fridge on propane while towing. Never thought of doing that with the shells down. Anybody had problems with that?

Thanks

RIM
rimartin58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:23 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Roger -

Re 12VDC power: Of course, the first step is to make sure that 12-volt power is actually getting to the refrig. You can find the connection points in back of the refrig (access from outside). Once confirmed, make sure that, when the front panel switch is set to 12VDC (or Battery), 12-volt power is actually getting to the 12-volt heating element in back of the refrig. If everything is correct, the chimney behind the refrig should get warm after several minutes of operation. The chimney is a vertical sheet-metal tube, an inch or two in diameter, and probably wrapped in fiberglass insulation.

Re propane: The question of operating on propane while driving is a perennial one. There is a group that says "Sure, go ahead, what could happen?" There is another group that says "Not on your life. If I'm involved in an accident, even a minor one, I don't want propane flowing around loose." Neither group convinces the other, so the conclusion for you is simply derived from your risk tolerance.

BTW, in some states (and in some places like tunnels) it is illegal to have the valves on the propane tanks turned on while you are in motion.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

We tow with the propane fridge running on every camp-out (41 as of this weekend). If you do it, be sure to run the fridge fan (for adaquate fridge cooling).

If you happen to be in an accident, the propane bottle automatically shuts off (in the event of a propane leak). You are at FAR MORE risk driving your car with gas in the tank and having a fuel line rupture in an accident. There are no safeguards for that. However, to each his own.

Bill, what States have laws against having propane on while in motion? I was unaware of that. I know that it is illegal to drive through tunnels with propane on and I have always been curious what they do about propane fueled vehicles. I also wonder how they would control propane fueled vehicles in states that ban the use....
Old 04-08-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
rumbleweed

Wink

Maryland prohibits traveling through the tunnels with propane in excess of 10 Lbs of propane per container (Max of ten containers). No mention of having bottles turned on during transport. Will check further, Propane fueled vehicles do require a special permit.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #5
ragmopp

You cannot take a rv on a ferry from Seattle to Vancouver Island without the propane bottles being sealed and off at the terminal.

Mike Anderson
Old 04-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The question of what happens in an accident comes up often. The excess-flow valve on the propane tank may save your life if excess flow occurs. However, if the line is kinked/cracked or punctured in a way that results in less-than-excess flow (how much flow is excess flow, by the way?), then propane will escape, and it doesn't take much to create a catastrophe. In addition, don't forget that you don't have to have an accident for a problem to occur. The soft copper propane lines are routed under the camper, and it would be easy for something kicked up from the road to cause a leak. A rock, an alligator (truck tire tread), a chunk of wood, a piece of miscellaneous metal ... not to mention a pavement edge as you pull off the road, or a high-centered dirt road as you pull into a campground.

Yes, there is gasoline in a car, but a car is designed to deal with it. A great deal of engineering and testing goes into it. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but gasoline explosions are quite rare. By contrast, a TT is NOT designed to deal with propane flow in an accident.

I look at sites like http://www.popuptimes.com/archives/towinglaws.shtml and http://www.gypsyjournal.net/traveling_with_propane.htm that warn against travel with propane on. Propane believers will have other sites that insist there is no danger. As I said, there are two schools of thought here, and neither of us will convince the other. In other words, there is no universal answer. Your risk tolerance is your own.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:55 PM   #7
rumbleweed

I need to check this , but another concern would be that the 12 V could be lost due to a fuse blowing or a drained battery and the fridge fan would stop while the fridge on propane would still operate. I think would cause some damage or discoloration to the inside wall of the back shell. I need to check if fridge once started will continue to run without 12V.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
I need to check this , but another concern would be that the 12 V could be lost due to a fuse blowing or a drained battery and the fridge fan would stop while the fridge on propane would still operate. I think would cause some damage or discoloration to the inside wall of the back shell. I need to check if fridge once started will continue to run without 12V.
I'm not sure about the later models but ours will stay running without 12V. However, the fan would stop. I've forgotten to turn the fan on, on a few camp-outs. The only thing it did (to my knowledge) was lower the efficiency of the cooling. I suppose it may increase the CO level inside the camper but it's not recommended to ride in there while towing anyway.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #9
Scott O

Bill...Your arguments are very level and well-reasoned. As you point out, this is an issue where there is no right or wrong way to do it. I know many people who travel with propane powering their refer, I know just as many who don't. The decision is up to each individual. We all need to consider the issues involved and make our own reasoned decisions. I don't have much of an opinion either way. I travel without problems on 12v, but would not hesitate to switch to propane if I needed to. How's that for sitting directly on the center of the fence???
Old 04-08-2009, 07:14 PM   #10
PopBeavers

Some RV fridges are two way, propane or 120 volts. They do not have much choice.

The TM fridge is a three way fridge, so you can also choose to run it on 12 volts.

I have never understood the logic of running it on propane while towing when it is fully capable of running fine on 12 volts. This does assume that the TV is capable of producing enough power to do so. My truck's, both stock, can run the fridge and still provide some charge to the TM batteries. In my case, I do not see any advantage of using propane instead.

Arguably, if your tow vehicle can not run the fridge and charge the batteries, then you have an electrical problem somewhere, or an undersized charge wire or an undersized alternator. All three are easy to fix.

In particular, running the fridge on propane, with the TM closed, and the outside temperature in excess of 100F, just seems illogical to me. Especially when towing in national forests with fire restrictions due to California's lack of adequate rainfall in recent years. I always have the fridge fan on while towing as well.

But, to each his own.