TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
Traveler

Unhappy First, and sadly, Final Trailmanor Camping Trip

We wanted to be Trailmanor people - really wanted to be. We searched over a year before finding a used 2001 31KS that we eagerly purchased last December. September came and we started off on a month long vacation.

Yes, we've been camping most of our lives, and recently sold our small HiLo trailer. We are also used to backpacking, tents and minor inconvienences of camping.

The Journey: It started off with greatly missing the ability to pull over, set up within 15 seconds (HiLo setup), and use both the fridge and the bathroom. Annoying, but we hoped to make do. Then came the wrestling with the shells, slideouts, and bathroom setup. None of which are major, but combined are VERY annoying after the 4th time. Wrenched my back pulling the shells out one night.

The bed. How to describe having to climb over each other to get into or out of bed, and then cracking a knee getting back into the bed. Perhaps we're getting too old?

Did I mention the several small concussions I received after cracking my head on the bathroom door frame at night? Did I mention the several small concussions I received after cracking my head on the bathroom door frame at night? Did I mention.... Ooops - I see that I did.

The toilet. OK, it works as advertised. Yep, I COULD get used to it. But gee, it sure smells worse than a 'normal' Thetford - you know, the one with the sliding valve seal that traps odors? Yep, had a full bottle of 'blue', along with odor tablets in it. I managed to 'explain' the toilet's characteristics to the DW. Barely. She wasn't buying it.

Advantage: Easy to tow.

Honestly, we tried. We're not sissies. I've slept outdoors, in snow caves, buried in pumic (to keep warm when mountainclimbing), graduated from survival school many eons ago. Just did not click. The HiLo did - immediately.

Bless those that do better than us. And forgive us for not making it into the TM club.

Oh, after we definitely decided to sell the TM and get another HiLo or 'regular' trailer (five days into vacation), our tow vehicle transmission started going out. After - had nothing to do with our TM opinion, and nothing to do with the TM towing - just an old tranny. Perhaps a message from the lesser gods? Anyway, here we are spending a week+ in Seattle waiting on a new tranny. However - we have been RV shopping!! Look for a TM trade in near you.

By the way - many thanks to the year+ advice and online manuals, tips and all. I sure appreciated it, and it helped greatly.

Best of luck to all of you!

T