TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-16-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Default Anyone heard about the new Prodigy P3 brake controller?

Howdy folks -

Has anything heard anything (positive or negative) about the new Prodigy P3 brake controller? You can see one here:

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog...&cat=54&page=1

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 02:23 PM   #2
NiceMustang

I don't know about this one but I did just pick up the Primus and installed it this weekend. Went in w/o any issues but I've not tested it with TM yet.

Dan...
http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog...&cat=54&page=1
Old 05-16-2007, 02:56 PM   #3
rtry9a

Ive got a primus on my Explorer Sport/TM3027 too; it works fine.

Know what you mean about Mustangs too- Id love a GT350, but only have a 95Cobra hobby car, slightly modified... twin turbos, lowered + full suspension, exhaust, Tremec tranny, big tires/Bullit wheels, moon roof. My other "Mustang" is an airplane (not really a P-51, but I wish it was).
Old 05-19-2007, 11:04 PM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Ok, well, I'll be the guinea pig. Just ordered a Prodigy P3 and will test it out during a 7,000 mile trip next month.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:57 PM   #5
NiceMustang

I finally got to test the Primus and WOW! what a difference! I've never towed anything this heavy before and have not used elec brakes before. This thing was a piece of cake to install and it was super easy to set up and get dialed in. I can not believe the difference that the brakes on the TM make when stopping. I'm pumped for this weekend's trip!!!
Old 08-12-2007, 02:06 AM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Just for the record, we tested the P3 on a recent 5,000 mile trip from PA to SoCal through Canada and the Rockies, and it performed flawlessly. The digital display is handy.....it also has a digital voltmeter, which is nice.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:37 AM   #7
jcjim4

I read that Prodigy and Primus are top of the line! My dealer installed a mid level "Voyager" on my Tundra. Is very simple to operate and has performed good so far. All u do is watch it change from green to orange to red. (Would not be a good choice for anyone colorblind).
Old 08-12-2007, 05:30 PM   #8
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Camper View Post
I've used a Voyager for 5 years now and it still works great...
I bought my Voyager in 1998 when we bought our 1998 2619. First installed it on our 1992 Ford Aerostar Van to tow the TM. Moved the Voyager to our 1997 Ford F-150 when we upgraded the TV. Then I moved the Voyager to our present 2000 Ford F-150 when we decided to upgrade the trailer and the TV. It has worked flawlessly for over 9 years. If it "dies" I will consider one of the new digital models, but there is no reason to consider a change at the moment.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:50 PM   #9
PopBeavers

I *THINK* that the Voyager is a time delay controller. I know that the Prodigy is base on the deceleration rate.

The difference is that a time delay controller measure the time sine you put your foot on the brake. The longer your foot is on the brake the harder it brakes. The flaw with this design is that if you are trying to slow down gently as you approach a stop light by gently pressing the brake, a time delay style controller will eventually lock up the brakes on the trailer. On the other hand, in a panic stop situation, a time delay style brake controller will gently and gradually increase the braking force as time goes by.

I don't know if this is the way the Voyager works, but I am pretty sure that it is.

On the other hand, the Prodigy will measure the rate of deceleration and adjust the braking pressure automatically. So if you want to slow down gradually it can do that. If you need to make a panic stop, it can do that, too.

I don't have either one. I have the Valley Industries Odyssey. It is like the Prodigy with a couple of extra features that I like:

1. It can be mounted vertically, unlike some other controllers.

2. It will not get damaged if you accidentally pull the pin out and engage the breakaway switch while plugged into the TV. The Prodigy manual (not sure about P3) says you will damage the controller if you do that.

The most common complaint with the Voyager is that it is rather jerky and is difficult to adjust for smooth operation when you go from freeway towing to driving on city streets. This appears to be the primary reason that people replace their voyager with a Prodigy.

This appears to be a bigger issue with very heavy trailers.The Trailmanor is not a very heavy trailer.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:58 PM   #10
PopBeavers

I didn't say I had ever used a Voyager.

I hang out at WWW.RV.NET a lot over the last three years. There are several topics that I watch closely. Brake controllers is one of them.

Many people have upgraded from the Voyager to the Prodigy. I have never heard of anyone going the opposite way.

Until the Prodigy came out, I think the best brake controller you could get was the type that used a time delay mechanism. I think Prodigy was the first one with a means to measure acceleration, or deceleration.

Other types of brake controllers either tap into the hydraulic fluid line or are a cable connected to the brake pedal of the TV.

I have had my Valley Industries Odyssey since I got the TM, March 2005. I paid slightly less than $100 for it. It was recommended by someone here on the TMO forums.