TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-19-2007, 07:35 PM   #1
MissingTheNW2001

Default PEX Plumbing

I need to do some plumbing on my '02 2619. Piping looks like PEX to me. Just wondering if anyone knows the pipe size? Its either 1/2" or 5/8", just not sure which?

FYI, for anyone wanting to do some plumbing on your TM, the PEX crimping tool (crimps a copper fitting around the pipe securing it to the fitting) they get in your pocket if you want to buy the tool ($119 at Home Depot) or the best option is they rent them for about $7 per day. But make sure you call as not all Home Depot's have tool rental facilities.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 05-22-2007, 04:59 AM   #2
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingTheNW2001 View Post
I need to do some plumbing on my '02 2619. Piping looks like PEX to me. Just wondering if anyone knows the pipe size? Its either 1/2" or 5/8", just not sure which Thanks, Jeff
Hi Jeff,
I missed your original posting (above), and just accidentally stumbled across it. Did you ever determine what size/type tubing is used in the TM? If, I may ask, what additional plumbing work are you considering? (we have the exact same year and model TM)

I have recently taken some interest in PEX tubing, as we are getting ready to build a small cabin in a rural area. I guess I'm 'old school' and had originally 'spec'd' conventional copper plumbing which I'm familiar with, but the price of copper (both plumbing and wiring) has gone through the roof!

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:52 AM   #3
Freedom

There are alternatives to the regular PEX crimper that aren't as expensive. I think this one makes a lot of sense especially when working on RVs. It crimps 3/8, 1/2 & 3/4 PEX rings.
http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/pocketcrimper.html
If you're working with copper tubing there's an epoxy to use instead of solder. I've plumbed two houses and made many repairs using it and it's fantastic. Called Copper-Bond.
http://superglue.supergluecorp.com/copperbond.html
Old 05-30-2007, 10:11 PM   #4
MissingTheNW2001

Default PEX Plumbing

Nick:

Well I think I now what size PEX it takes. Never really got "official" verification, but I can tell you that I used a 1/2" PEX crimper and rings (that I rented from H. Depot) and it worked just fine.

Freedom is correct there are several less expensive PEX crimpers that I found on EBay. They use a stainless steel crimp as opposed to the copper rings and the nice thing is one tool can crimp multiple sizes. The cooper rngs require a specific tool for each size. Buying the tool makes sense for a new construction plumber but the the avg. DIY guy, I think the stainless crimper is a less costly option.

Regarding my modifications, I didn't make any. I simply reinstalled the fresh water storage tank and pump that a previous owner had removed. Took me a while to figure out how it all went together, but I finally got it and I did test it and it worked!

Regarding PEX, I've been told the real advantage it offers is greater freeze tolerance as opposed to copper or PVC. The only issue I found is if you goof up and cut a piece too short and need to remove the ring, that can be challenging. Of course they make a specific tool for that as well, but I just got out my dremmel and used a small cuttting disc and it sawed through it like a champ.

If anyone has questions about the water pump or plumbing give me a shout. I'm not an expert by any means, but I do have some recent experience.

Hope this helps. Jeff