TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-27-2005, 07:08 PM   #1
Chris_Bauer

Smile I Sure Miss My TM

Well, it has been a year since I made the decision to sell my Trailmanor. Some of you may remember my story, I live in Mexico and could not import my used 3326. I had to buy new and with the cost of the 3326 new plus import taxes, it was just too much.

I am the proud owner of a Shadow Cruiser 18ft. I guess you know by now that the problem is the "18ft". I miss the easy handling of the 3326, and most of all, the space the trailer had to offer. It was a house in itself.

Maybe in the future I will be able to return to Trailmanor, and if I do it will be the 3326 or the 3124KS. I am really amazed at the changes that have taken place and look forward to every new model year that comes up.

If you are a Trailmanor owner, I hope you appreciate your TM. I didn't and easily gave it up. I know that situations change as well as needs, but boy, that is one heck of a trailer.

If anyone comes down this way, pls let me know and I'll be glad to show you around, especially if you give me a tour of your TM.

Chris Bauer
Monterrey, Mexico
[email protected]
Old 07-05-2005, 02:58 PM   #2
Larry_Loo

Unhappy We miss your postings to the site!

Chris, I was sorry to hear that you had to give up your TM, but, I'd heard in the past that Mexican import duties are very high. Mexico even levied duties on used appliances that some friends of ours took into the country. Wasn't the NAFTA agreement supposed to establish free trade between Mexico and the USA?

What's your opinion of the current risks faced by US citizens driving into Mexico on vacations? Sometime last year, as I recall, the USA State Dept. issued warnings about highway bandits in Mexico. In the past my wife and I drove far into Mexico many times and flew our own planes there a couple of times. We never encountered any real trouble (except for the occasional customs official looking for "mordida"). We always found the Mexican people themselves to be extremely friendly and gracious. Nevertheless, I've always been uneasy every time we've crossed the border into that country.

Chris, we do miss the messages you frequently contributed to this forum.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:56 PM   #3
Chris_Bauer

Default Mexico Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_Loo
What's your opinion of the current risks faced by US citizens driving into Mexico on vacations? Sometime last year, as I recall, the USA State Dept. issued warnings about highway bandits in Mexico. In the past my wife and I drove far into Mexico many times and flew our own planes there a couple of times. We never encountered any real trouble (except for the occasional customs official looking for "mordida"). We always found the Mexican people themselves to be extremely friendly and gracious. Nevertheless, I've always been uneasy every time we've crossed the border into that country.

Chris, we do miss the messages you frequently contributed to this forum.
Thanks Larry. As for travel in Mexico, I would not let the minor trouble we have recently encountered in Nuevo Laredo discourage any RVer. I do highly recommend that people use the Columbia Bridge located 20 miles West of Laredo, Tx. Why do I say this? This bridge has very little use, is only about six years old and has a great Texas Toll Highway that takes you around Laredo, TX and straight into the bridge. At the bridge you will encounter new, clean and orderly immigration systems, friendly customs people on both sides, and a speedy pass-through. There is no bribery here. In fact, I discourage anyone from thinking that it is required. Almost 15 years here and the system works wonderfully.

Once across the border, the toll highway to Monterrey and all points south and southeast are easy-going. We do have military checkpoints and I am glad we do. It keeps our highways safe. Also, the guards do carry machine guns, but they are doing their duty to their country and more than anything else they just like to take a look inside your RV.

I have spent the last year boondocking throughout the northeast and have had nothing but good experiences. Should anyone ever want to form a caravan this way, I would be glad to lead it and help everyone at the Columbia Bridge with their paperwork.

Chris Bauer
Monterrey, Mexico