TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-02-2017, 10:38 AM   #1
Pele2048

Default Custom interior upholstery?

So the couches in my 2004 3023 are a bit ratty. Like I think a rodent chewed into the curb side couch and the street side one is a bit discolored.

I have a buncha ripped up jeans.
What say I combine the two.

Wondering if anyone's stripped apart the stock upholstery and made a pattern for replacement. How'd it turn out?

Also considering leather.
Pele2048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:32 AM   #2
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quite frankly, I think anything would be an improvement over the stock upholstery in most TMs, no matter how it turns out. Most TT/TC/RVs for that matter.....
Old 06-02-2017, 11:41 AM   #3
br2_wdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pele2048 View Post
So the couches in my 2004 3023 are a bit ratty. Like I think a rodent chewed into the curb side couch and the street side one is a bit discolored.

I have a buncha ripped up jeans.
What say I combine the two.

Wondering if anyone's stripped apart the stock upholstery and made a pattern for replacement. How'd it turn out?

Also considering leather.
You have shown a number of "out of the box" ideas so far on the forum, but I am wondering if a "jeans" upholstery motif might affect resale, most likely negatively? Given all the other positive updates/mods you're making it's not a big item, but you'd be surprised by how many people get turned off by certain colors or fabrics.

But leather would certainly add value (and durability) to your TM, and it is something I have thought about doing, and would like more information/details on what pieces you would do (both sofa's?) and pricing estimates if you decide to go that route.

Also, to your idea about recycling jeans, I wonder if an old leather couch could work the same way to reupholster the sofa's in the TM? I'm on a roll ...
br2_wdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:54 AM   #4
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by br2_wdc View Post
You have shown a number of "out of the box" ideas so far on the forum, but I am wondering if a "jeans" upholstery motif might affect resale, most likely negatively? Given all the other positive updates/mods you're making it's not a big item, but you'd be surprised by how many people get turned off by certain colors or fabrics.
You are never going to please all of the people all of the time. If you think of resale value/appeal with improvements/upgrades/changes, you aren't making your TM the best for YOU, and what appeals to YOU, the current owner. Denim would appeal to some, not to others, just as leather would appeal to some, not to others. (For example, I would select denim over leather for a camper, because you are camping in the summer - the last thing I want to sit on is a hot leather chair/couch with shorts, skin sticking to it, etc. - but that's just me.) My remodel is going way, WAY out of the box, and once I got over the "oh, what about resale???" thought nagging me in the back of my mind, I found it to be a huge relief to say "the heck with resale, it's my camper, I'm going to make it mine, and how I want it". It was very liberating!

A 'slip-cover' idea might be the way to go, so the change isn't permanent, and if you did use denim (or any material) you could take off to wash or have cleaned. I personally think denim, with frayed seams where the different pieces are connected, would be pretty awesome.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:09 PM   #5
campernurse2012
Site Sponsor

I'm also thinking of doing denim slip covers in the future, I just made slip covers out of bedsheets to get by till I really know what I want! Ha Thinking dark blue denim benches with new curtains in white with navy background to lighten / brighten it up . We' ll see!
Texas
campernurse2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:29 PM   #6
Pele2048

The curtains are already a blue fabric, so I dunno if they'd be too different for the color scheme.

They'd definitely be slip covers. I want to be able to remove them and wash them.

The reason I think of jeans as being a good candidate is because they're durable. The Trail Manor will be mostly used at the Outer Banks, so the sand and whatnot will get in them. Sand likes to do a number on fabric.

I'm VERY rough on clothes, as I work on cars and houses a lot. Most of my jeans are ripped in the knees where I kneel or fall. I wear them loose and I'm in between sizes, so I step on the hems of 34 inch inseam jeans whereas 32 inch inseams ride up on my ankle when I sit down. There is the occasional rip where I sat on something sharp or walked by and got the butt pocket caught on something. As a result, I have this big stash of jeans that are inappropriate for work.
Pele2048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:28 PM   #7
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
The curtains are already a blue fabric, so I dunno if they'd be too different for the color scheme.
The nice thing about using lots of denim pieces from old jeans - they will be a wide range of colors/fade level, and will most likely look just fine with the blue of the curtains.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:30 PM   #8
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by campernurse2012 View Post
I'm also thinking of doing denim slip covers in the future, I just made slip covers out of bedsheets to get by till I really know what I want! Ha Thinking dark blue denim benches with new curtains in white with navy background to lighten / brighten it up . We' ll see!
Ahhhh, the midwest farmer's daughter is coming out in me - I can see denim couches and red gingham or red bandanna curtains.....
Old 06-02-2017, 03:39 PM   #9
br2_wdc

Quote:

The reason I think of jeans as being a good candidate is because they're durable. The Trail Manor will be mostly used at the Outer Banks, so the sand and whatnot will get in them. Sand likes to do a number on fabric.
I see your point ... durable and with sand/water/etc, but those are the same reasons I considered leather; we have leather couches at home that stand up to quite a bit of punishment with our kids, yet are still very comfortable.

Plus I have found when we have had leather interiors in our cars, they are much easier to clean then cloth with the "inventive" ways the kids make a mess.

But either way, you'll have an improved TM, which is really the important point ...
br2_wdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:20 PM   #10
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

We re-did our curtains in demi on our old 2720 and made slip cover for the dinette.

One of our campers we had a company in Elkhart, IN make new covers for the beds and dinette with fabric on one side and vinyl on the other side. They also sent a few yards of the fabric for other use. Slipping the foam in was a PIA. I think we spent maybe $500 altogether. Turned out looking real good.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote