TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-16-2016, 10:41 AM   #1
Marbet

Default Converting to disc brakes

I was growing tired of the maintenance required for the standard electric brakes and the frustrations of never being able to adjust them just right. My interest was sparked by an article in Trailer life over a year ago about a Titan Disc Brake conversion. Having a trusted friend in the Trailer repair business I went to him and he suggested Kodiak Disc brakes with a Dexter actuator. I have yet to see the reduction in maintenance but, I am amazed at the increase in stopping power! I have not done any formal testing but, based on feelings the TV and TM stop in little more distance than the TV alone. This is much appreciated for those times on the road where you could use just a little more stopping power in an unexpected need to bring things to a halt. The price is steep but, if things work as advertised, it will be a good long term investment. The installation is fairly easy, The TM lends itself to easily installing the hydraulic lines and electrical wiring. The hubs are simply bolt on replacements. I think anyone with average do-it-yourself skills and willing to read and follow detailed directions could do most of it aside from the hydraulic lines that need to have double flared ends done with a flaring tool. I had my Trailer repair friend do the ends to ensure no leaks. At this point I have no pictures but, if anyone is interested I'll take a few.

Marbet
Eaton, CO
Old 03-16-2016, 11:51 AM   #2
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Definitely interested in pictures!
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:02 PM   #3
Marbet

Default Pictures

Shane826, It may take me a few days to get some good pictures as I may need to raise the TM up on its jacks and work with lighting to get some good shots. of the underneath area. I will also try to include a little explanation of what I did during the install. I apologize for not having done this as I did the project. I was a little concerned what the result would be and wanted to try it out before I posted anything on the forum. After about a 2000 mile trip with the TM in tow about 75% of those miles, I feel it is worth throwing out for the community. You may want to refer to the May 2015 Trailer life magazine article "Giving trailers a Brake". That is what got me started thinking about the idea. They use Titan components but the layout is similar.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:43 PM   #4
Shane826
TrailManor Master

No rush, my TM isn't going anywhere for at least a couple months... I'll look into that article!
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:49 PM   #5
Marbet

Default pictures for Disc brake conversion on 09 2720

Here are some pictures of the Kodiak disc brake conversion I completed on our 09 2720 TM. I used the Kodiak 10' disc brake kit for the 3500 lb Dexter axle and the Dexter Electrically controlled hydraulic brake actuation device model # E/H 1600. The actuator fits nicely behind the battery box by bolting a couple pieces of 1.5" by 14" angle iron to the bottom of the angle iron mounting bracket of the battery box. This mounting allows ready access to the actuator for checking fluid and gives good air flow around the unit while keeping it out of direct road spray and gravel strikes. The unit is suited for this type of outside mounting as long as it does not get submerged in water. Electrical connections are fairly straight forward with the included instructions and Hydraulic lines are fairly easy to run. It is hard to see in the pictures but, I ran the lines on the inside of the left frame rail above torsion bars and back to the left axle where I used a T block and used an 18" flex hose to the left brake, Then a 62" line across the frame cross member above the axle to the right brake and another 18" flexible line to the to the caliper to allow for suspension movement. I should share that I am running 14" tires so clearance may look tight. Note that different models may have to find a different location for the actuator due to different designs of the TMs. I hope this is enough detail to show how it works and how easy it was to adapt to the TM. Thanks for your patience!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6222.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	13106   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6224.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	13107   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6225.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	13108   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6229.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	13109   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6231.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	13110  

Old 03-22-2016, 05:54 AM   #6
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Thumbs up

Nice looking job. For where we camp, even with the lines high out of the way like you have them, I might be tempted to go with braided hose.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:40 PM   #7
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Thanks for the write-up and pics! How long did the project take? Were brake lines included, or did you get those separately?

Very tempted to do this mod, maybe even this summer. Let us know how you feel they work when you get them out on the road.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:59 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I'm thinking (always dangerous) that the primary advantage of disc brakes would be added stopping power. I would love to have that. So when you get to testing it, my question will be:

Can you lock up the new disc brakes?

Many owners, including me, have noted that the stock Dexter brakes are not quite hefty enough to lock up the brakes, even at slow speed and max setting on the controller. Please note that I am not advocating locking the brakes. But I would rather know that I can, and back off the setting, than know that I can't.

Let us know. That is the one thing that might convince to do the job! Otherwise, I don't see the point.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:20 AM   #9
Marbet

Default Answers to posts on disc brakes

I'll try to answer questions posted.
Time required; Assuming reasonable DIY skills, roughly 20 hours with most time spent on mounting of actuator, wiring, and running hydraulic lines. installing disc brake assemblies is nothing more than remove and replace.

Improvement in performance; This is the BIG Change! After completing the conversion we took a trip to Texas putting on 2000 miles on the TV and what a difference. To give a small idea, driving at about 30mph on a quiet side street I can firmly step on the brake and bring things to a quick stop in almost the same distance as the TV alone. My friend with the trailer shop assured me that maintenance is also going to be reduced as well with no adjustment of brakes required. Before, I had to do a panic stop to even come close to locking up the trailer brakes. Now, the trailer brakes will lock on demand if I press hard on the brake but, it can be controlled by pedal pressure!

Kodiak and Titan have videos on line showing the installation and claiming much better stopping distance while towing. I am very pleased with the results.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:30 AM   #10
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Question The bottom line....

You didn't mention the most important item...the cost! Assuming you did ALL the install yourself, what would it have cost you for the disc brakes and then the actuator? Did you have to change out your brake controller as well? I would love to do this and think it is worth the effort and cost. I just want to know how long it will take me to save up my gig money for this!
good job
TC
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote