TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-21-2014, 09:55 AM   #1
daveinfl

Default Fresh Water Tank

I am planning a trip this summer that will take us about 4000 miles total. I have read so much about being overweight that I have become a bit worried about it. One thing that occurred to me was that if I removed the water tank it would lighten the load a bit. All of the parks we will stay in have shore water. Has anyone done this and does it make good sense? Or not?
2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
with tow package
daveinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:50 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The empty water tank weighs next to nothing, so presumably you are asking about travelling with a full tank. With water at 8.5 pounds per gallon, a full tank weighs about 170 pounds, so it is worthwhile travelling with it empty. If you have a water hookup at your campgrounds, just plan on using it, and don't fill the tank.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:40 PM   #3
Sterman

Dave, You might save 10lb or so if you remove the tank and the water pump. You would then gain a little more storage under the streetside bench, but is it worth it?

You'd want to keep the parts and reinstall or at least have them available prior to resale of your TM.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:37 PM   #4
daveinfl

Thanks to both of you. I was thinking of removing the tank and storing for when we sell our 2619. My wife likes the idea of a little more storage room for blankets and sleeping bags.

Sterman. I am curious ... did you ever solve the gap under the front shell of your 2619. I am going to work on mine next weekend and just wondered if you came up with an idea. Thanks again.
2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
with tow package
daveinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #5
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

We've been discussing taking out the water tank and water heater since we don't use either. The problem for us; the extra storage would add more weight of stuff then the tank and heater empty

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:48 PM   #6
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinfl View Post
I am planning a trip this summer that will take us about 4000 miles total. I have read so much about being overweight that I have become a bit worried about it. One thing that occurred to me was that if I removed the water tank it would lighten the load a bit. All of the parks we will stay in have shore water. Has anyone done this and does it make good sense? Or not?
We removed the tank and pump for added storage plus removed the jet engine heater for even more storage! All the parts are together and stored in the garage for reassembly if ever needed or for resale! With over 50,000 miles traveled we never once missed either of them! We are in our mid 60's and will never boondock and enjoy the security of a campground atmosphere, plus 90% of them are very reasonable! I also removed both propane tanks and only carry one while traveling! It is stored in a truck box mounted on a carrier in the TM hitch receiver! It lessens the tongue weight and I have added storage room in the box for tools and extra stuff if needed! I keep the weight at or around 100 lbs.

08 2619 TM W/The Works, 15" wheels X 4 (2 spares),
2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

Sold to someone that loves travel and camping as much as we do!

Love the forum so always checking in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELM-JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:20 AM   #7
Sterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinfl View Post
Thanks to both of you. I was thinking of removing the tank and storing for when we sell our 2619. My wife likes the idea of a little more storage room for blankets and sleeping bags.

Sterman. I am curious ... did you ever solve the gap under the front shell of your 2619. I am going to work on mine next weekend and just wondered if you came up with an idea. Thanks again.
Dave, I have not had a chance to work on the gap issue. I have actually thought of using racheting tie-downs to pull the walls together during travel, but that would be kind of a pain to set and remove. I should probably do that during storage to maybe "reset" the walls so the gaps are sealed better.
I recently picked up some swimming noodles (couldn't find them in winter) from a dollar store to see if I can pack those in to the gaps, but that'll still be a pain.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:46 PM   #8
moaboy

Geez, how do u get by without hot water?
Old 04-22-2014, 07:54 PM   #9
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

I agree, we use our hot water every time we camp

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote