TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-21-2013, 06:12 AM   #1
hjbourge
Site Sponsor

Default Velcro

Has anyone replaced the Velcro on the wall where the flaps connect to? If so how do you get the old glue off so you can start fresh with new velcro?

2720SD TM 2010 model
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Prodigy brake controller
hjbourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

I have had good success removing old glue with mineral spirits; however it depends on the type of adhesive it is. Sometimes you have to use something a little more powerful, like lacquer thinner, but be sure to be careful of the fumes.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
Scott O

Goo-Gon can also be effective in removing many adhesives.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
bebotx

I've had pretty good luck using Sprayway brand of aerosol stainless cleaner and a rag or paper towel. It happened to be what I had on hand. After getting the old adhesive off, be sure to clean the area with alcohol before sticking on the new Velcro. I've been replacing all my Velcro on the walls this week. The stainless cleaner is mineral oil and mineral spirits mostly. I get it at Home Depot. It doesn't harm the vinyl wall covering or the paint.

I'm experimenting with replacing some of the white Velcro with clear Velcro. It looks better (almost invisible) but only time will tell if it'll hold up.

Good luck!

Betty
1976 "Vintage" Munroe Crusader 11' TT in New Zealand
bebotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:55 AM   #5
Gwenzilla

Just a heads up on cleaning the old glue off... on our 2004 2819 the wall on the same side as the fridge is evidently wall papered, and when we cleaned ours there was one spot were I left the solution on a bit too long and I ended up with a small area where the "wall paper" separated from the surface behind.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
davlin
TrailManor Master

You may want to look at this as a more permanent fix to the Velcro problem. http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ghlight=velcro

In my 16 years of experience with TM velcro flaps, it always seems the "re-applies" last for shorter and shorter periods of time, especially if your trailer is exposed to temperature extremes (in my case, heat).

I've completed the "test" of this on several camping trips now, and I am convinced this is the way to go.

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
bebotx

I've never had a problem with the velcro that the flaps seal to when the trailer's open. Where I have to replace mine are the ones that hold the flaps up and out of the way when closing.

I learned on this board a few years ago to run my fingers between the two sides of the velcro when separating the flaps to fold, rather than to pull out on the flaps. Puts a lot less stress on the velcro.

Betty
1976 "Vintage" Munroe Crusader 11' TT in New Zealand
bebotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #8
hjbourge
Site Sponsor

Thanks everyone for replying. Now I'll have to wait till spring as the snow has put a damper on getting anymore work done. I have tried Goo-Gon without much luck. You are right Betty about putting your fingers between the two side of velcro, I've had better luck if I start from the middle of the flap and go to the end but sometimes I get in a rush and grab the end first and that is where the trouble starts. Once you have a piece release from the wall you best remove the whole piece and replace as it will work it's way down the wall and be a problem. I will try each of your solutions this spring and see which I like the best.

2720SD TM 2010 model
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Prodigy brake controller
hjbourge is offline   Reply With Quote