TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
myersm

Default Dismantel Awning Frame

I'm getting ready to dismantle my awning. My two extension arms are cracked at the upper knuckles, and I'm going to remove them and get them welded.
With the help of a couple friends, I'm going to support the awning and the Lead Bar while I remove the Extension Arms. Once the extension arms are out, I want to roll the awning back into the frame and lock it in place. I'm thinking that once it's locked into the frame, I should be OK to tow the TM without the canopy falling out and dragging along the highway (that would be awful).
Has anyone had any experience doing this?

Thanks
2002 3023
2002 Chevy Avalanche
myersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
Scottie Dogs

Hi-

This is all new to me, pleased keep us posted on this, it is very interesting, I hope you can get some information on this problem from this site. I am sure you will, we have the best TM people here.

Pictures would be great on this project...

Dave
Old 10-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
PopBeavers

fwiw I think it is a sound strategy.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Why not just remove the whole aging until you get it repaired? There are 8 screws holding it into the TM, just unscrew them (from the inside of the awning) and remove the whole shebang. Seems safer to me than trying to roll things back into the casing and driving down a highway!

My awning is removable, and I pop it off every time I store it, so it's no big deal. I don't bother with the screws (I have a different way of securing the awning to the TM) but popping it off isn't the end of the world.

If you are certain it's locked, then you should be ok. I personally would be a little nervous. Then again, you may not want to go through the hassle of removing all the caulk like I did
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:18 AM   #5
PopBeavers

I needed to repair or replace the fabric on my awning. This would require removing the two end caps. I was unable to remove one of the two end caps.

So I took it to my local dealer, Custom RV, and let them do the project.

Ever since engine blocks switched from cast iron to aluminum I stopped working on things because I always managed to break something.

In my opinion, at least for myself, the bull in the china shop, removing the entire awning is an opportunity for me to cause some serious damage. But that is just me.

I only know enough to be dangerous.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
myersm

Thanks for all your advice. I did think about removing the entire awning... but I don't think I have to go into that much work... my TM has a lot of sealant around the Awning Frame.
I'm thinking that the awning and lead bar will lock bach in place. But if not, then I can always simply remove the awning and the roller from the frame and store it till I get the parts back and ready for reassembly.
2002 3023
2002 Chevy Avalanche
myersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
VibrantClan

Quote:
Originally Posted by myersm View Post
Thanks for all your advice. I did think about removing the entire awning... but I don't think I have to go into that much work... my TM has a lot of sealant around the Awning Frame.
I'm thinking that the awning and lead bar will lock bach in place. But if not, then I can always simply remove the awning and the roller from the frame and store it till I get the parts back and ready for reassembly.
So did you get it fixed? How did it go? We are considering removing ours at least for a while, instead of replacing it. It got torn up pretty good by a big wind that came through when we were sleeping, and right now it is bungee cord tied closed (it was sufficient to get us home, but we don't want to leave it that way).