TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-15-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
thornyrrose

Default Can't dump toilet, and other plumbing issues

Late this past summer I bought a used (2002) TM. I thought I'd be cleaning it up and getting in a few short camping trips in before shutting it down for the winter. Due to an unexpected health problem that cropped up in late September, the TM is still sitting open in my driveway, unused. Last weekend it suddenly occurred to me that freezing nighttime temperatures were upon us and I went out at the last minute with a bucket, thinking I'd empty the tanks and the toilet, but the following happened:

1. I could not pull out the handle at the bottom front of the toilet. It seems to be stuck, and I'm afraid that if I pull too hard I will break the plastic. How do I get this pulled out without breaking something?

2. I turned on the pump (for the first time), thinking that I'd run the water from the fresh water tank into the grey water tank, but nothing came out of the open faucets, and it was LOUD. How do you know if there is water in the tank, and is the pump always so loud, or was it loud because the tank was empty and it was sucking air? Can I damage it by running it dry?

I stuck a small heater in the trailer, set to turn on at 50 degrees and opened the bathroom door, but I don't want to leave it like this. I'd like to drain it and clean it up and close it down for the winter.

As an aside -- after bringing the trailer home, I made another trip up to Colorado Springs to the TM dealer there to have it serviced and they told me that everything was working fine. I know they checked for leaks in the plumbing, but I doubt the dumped the toilet. I think the water was put in it by the dealer I bought the TM from, so I have no idea when it was last dumped. It was in Houston, and I don't think they get freezing weather there, so theoretically, it could be a long time since that handle was pulled out.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:50 AM   #2
camp2canoe

1) I've never had the handle on the head stick, but just brain storming I might try spraying a little silicone on the slide and the opening for the handle shaft and then tap both to let the silicone work in.
2) On my 2619 you can see the water tank under the port dinette. It is translucent so it is easy to ascertain the level. If you've opened up all the drain lines it should be empty. When you do drain a little water remains in the bottom of the tank but not enough to enter the pump. IF YOU DO RUN THE PUMP WITH AN EMPTY TANK IT WILL BURN UP THE PUMP. (The consensus is that you are adequately protected when you have removed both shower heads, opened all faucets and all drain lines. Here in Illinois I add some RV anti freeze to the water tank, head and sink & shower traps.) You can also use the city water line to flush your grey water tank. - camp2canoe
Old 11-16-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

First, how much water is in the toilet? What does the gauge say? If it is empty, you don't have a bad freeze-related danger, though you will have to deal with the reluctant slide valve sometime.

Another thought, in addition to Camp2Canoe's thought. Get a bottle of Thetford Slide Valve Lubricant from an RV store. If the toilet is near-empty, pour a half cup or so into the toilet, and follow it with a quart or two of water. If the toilet has a substantial amount of water in it, add half a bottle, and no more water. Either way, let it sit for a couple days, and then try the slide again.

I have found that the lube helps a lot, by softening and lubricating the gasket that seals the valve. In your situation, the problem is that you can only lube the upper surface of the slide - the lower surface is down there in the dry part of the drainpipe. However, given some time, it is possible that some of the lube mixture will migrate around the edge of the slide, and penetrate the lower surface of the gasket. It is also possible that simply loosening the upper surface of the gasket will free things up enough that you can pull the slide.

ShurFlo says that it is OK to run the pump dry, since it is a diaphragm pump and not a centrifugal pump. Like Camp2Canoe, I don't like the idea of doing it - but I doubt that you have hurt anything. However, water in the pump housing can hurt the rubber diaphragms if it freezes, so you are wise to try to empty it.

As Camp2Canoe says, open all four drain valves beneath the TM, open all the faucets inside the TM, as well as the ones in the outside shower. Remove all three spray heads (outside shower, inside shower, kitchen sink) from their hoses, shake them out, and leave them off until spring. Assuming you do this before anything breaks, you should be OK.

And finally, re the toilet. If you are into seriously freezing weather, the worst-case solution may be to pour a gallon of non-toxic antifreeze into the toilet, and wait for spring.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:08 PM   #4
thornyrrose

Thank you camp2canoe and Bill for your suggestions. I think I might have some time to work on the trailer tomorrow afternoon, and then I will post some more questions.