TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-25-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

Wink Another "Awesome Trip"

We left home on the 27th of June, headed for Nova Scotia! Our intent was to tour the New England States and complete our dream of seeing all 50 states, then venture north! While in Bar Harbor and sitting on top of Cadillac Mountain I asked DW if she thought Nova Scotia could be any more beautiful! We decided then and there that another boost to the Canadian economy would not be in our future!

Our Passport America membership served us well and made it very easy to find campgrounds! We go out of our way to find camps away from major highways & R/R tracks!

The funniest thing that happened to us was on our first evening! As we got to the Savanna Camp we began setting up! The first thing to do after opening is to connect to shore power and get the A/C going! As DW was beginning to organize in the coolness of the noisey A/C I said and for the life of me, I don't know why, "Do not turn the hot water heater on"! She looked at me and nodded! As I connected the water hose and started my bleeding process I noticed steam coming from the far back fawcett, outside by the L R Jack! I ran in and saw the HW heater light on and freaked out! DW said, "You told me to turn it on when you walked out the door"! Lesson learned, Keep your mouth shut while in a noisey environment and go about your business! Needless to say, propane served us well also!

For information only! I was able to find and buy the heating element at NAPA auto parts in Maine for $11. so I bought the 2 they had in stock!

We got to "Home Sweet Home" on the 24th and can't wait to dream up another adventure!

BTW Our new Toyota 4Runner averaged 20 MPG the entire trip! V6 2wd! What a treat that was! Plus, the TM behaved beautifuly with the OE reciever and the addition of Air Shocks!

08 2619 TM W/The Works, 15" wheels X 4 (2 spares),
2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

Sold to someone that loves travel and camping as much as we do!

Love the forum so always checking in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELM-JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
rinshin

I can imagine this trip was wonderful. I love to return to Nova Scotia again. This time in our TM. Thanks for sharing your trip info with us.
rinshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Many years ago (MANY years ago), my wife and I honeymooned in Cape Breton Highlands National Park, with a stop of a few days in PEI. We were tent camping at the time, and had a wonderful time. I still have a picture of me, splitting firewood with an axe - in bare feet! As the expression goes, God protects the young and stupid! Or something like that.

We had planned to come back via the ferry from Halifax to Bar Harbor, and were looking forward to the ocean voyage. But we ran out of money. Gas was cheaper than the ferry fare in those days, so we drove home. Today? Maybe not.

The whole area was just beautiful! I recommend all of it! I would also recommend the Gaspe Peninsula, just a bit north, which I had visited with my parents years before. Perce Rock is not to be missed.

Have a ball! It is part of the joy of camping, in a tent or a TM!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

My wife and I also tent camped there in the late 80's. An eccentric Hungarian gentleman camping in a Class A motorhome befriended us and fed us homemade goulash. I have never had any as good since.

Sadly while we were camping there, my wife's father died unexpectedly and we had to deal with getting back to her parent's house ASAP.

So I have mixed memories of the place through no fault of its own. But there is no question about its natural beauty.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
moaboy

Earl,
You tell a "pearl" of a story.
This trip must have seemed kinda "short" compared to your Alaskan adventure?
I agree Maine is beautiful and remains one of my favorite trips as well.
PS Can you tell me about more about your experience using Passport America?
Old 08-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

Thumbs up Passport America

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaboy View Post
Earl,
Can you tell me more about your experience using Passport America?
It has been a great money saver for us! They will send a detailed compground book with everything needed to locate camps along your route! Their web site is very easy and free to help plan where to stay as you organize your trip! We also use Microsoft Streets and Trips to plan our trips on our computers! Before we leave home our entire trip is mapped with campgrounds included! It gives us a track to run on but we make daily changes as we go! We only drive 250 to 300 miles per day so we arrive early and have never made a reservation or ever been turned away! I think the early arrival is a big plus! We then have the evening and next morning to explore!

Passport America is only valuable if you travel extensively within your membership year! Its $44. per year but recouped after 3 night stays! Each campground will have a NOTES: section which includes their offer. Some will offer 1 night discount and some up to a week discount! Some will not give discounts during specific seasons! Most offer Sunday thru Thursday discounts! While in the New England States we looked for campgrounds offering the discount and bypassed the others!

Check out their website and see for yourself!

2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
moaboy

Thanks Earl.
Did you consider any other memberships?
Anybody else have experience with them or other camp ground memberships?
Old 08-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

Good Sam is also good to have for the tweeners!

2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]