TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-28-2008, 03:28 PM   #1
rjackson

Default KIA Sorento with 3500 lb tow rating as TV?

Hi All,

Considering a TM in lieu of tent trailer or ultra-lite, but concerned about the towing specs on my '04 KIA Sorento.

192 HP @5500 rpm
217 lb-ft @3000 rpm
106.7" wheelbase
4317 lbs
4X4 all-wheel drive

The towing capacity is stated at 3500 lbs, but the "word on the street" is that this is due to the fact that KIA's OEM hitch is Class II rated at 3500 lbs. I have a Class III after-market hitch. The '07 Sorento which is identical with exception of larger V6 is rated at 5000 lbs (262 HP / 260 lb-ft tirque).

I've posed this question on the KIA forum with no response, but there are lots of threads on this topic. The concensus seems to be that it is a good tow vehicle and is rated at 4100 lbs. in Europe. There are lots of "I can tow such and such with my KIA", etc., but much of this is bravado, so I'm confused!

My goal has been to keep this SUV, as it is in great condition but high mileage for the year, which kills its value. However, I will trade up to a larger vehicle if it seems unreasonable to use as a tow vehicle. I certaibly don't want to create a dangerous situation for my wife and grandkids.

Ironically, I discovered the Trailmanors doing research for light trailers that I could tow with this truck. If I have to upgrade the truck to a larger one, the Trailmanor is no longer the leading option, although I really do like them.

Much appreciated!

Rick
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote