TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-07-2008, 08:39 PM   #1
larsdennert

Default Winegard TV antenna is worthless.

Has anyone had any luck with this unit? ATSC signals were non existent and were sporadic with the amp on. NTSC signals were very poor at all antenna angles. There are two coax's coming into the amp board. Is that correct?

I plugged in my little 6" stubby antenna inside the TM and got great signal all around.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
viking

I have a different model antennae (Winegard Satellite / Omni directional antennae) and I got poor reception on the over the air Omni directional antennae. I ran a cable from my TV to the antennae and I got “good” reception. So what this told me is that I have a loose wire or something is not connected correctly. You might use this same test to see if it is your wiring or the antennae.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:18 PM   #3
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We get amazing reception with our Winegard antenna, I guess NTSC, which is analog? Without it we get almost nothing.

We were camping at Dinkey Creek last weekend, about 180 miles from here, up in the Sierras between Yosemite and King's Canyon, and got a fairly strong analog signal from KSBW, which is a Monterey station (our local news channel). We were amazed. They have a transmitter on Fremont Peak. Somehow that signal must make it's way into Dinkey Creek.

I bought a digital converter box and tried to use it here at home in the house. Absolutely no signal at all. Nothing. Nada. We get a lot of "fuzzvision" stations on analog, but once we lose the analog signals, I suspect that we won't be able to get anything without our sat dish.

I have yet to try the converter box with the Winegard, since the TM is usually covered, but it's uncovered now as we are between camping trips. I might go out and try it in the next day or two to see what we get.

Long story short, if your reception isn't helped by the Winegard, you must have a loose connection, or it's not connected properly. And you did push the little button so the green light is on...? I kind of recall some of the more recent (than mine) TM's not being hooked up correctly out of the factory to the Winegard unit...
Old 07-08-2008, 08:52 PM   #4
larsdennert

Hmm, I checked from the outside at the fridge and there is a coax leading to the roof cable bundle. I may try plugging in there to see what happens as there is a junction.

Yep I tried with the light on and off.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:08 AM   #5
ng2951

Mine works great. I am very impressed, especially when you add a digital converter.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:33 AM   #6
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

This morning I had a chance to try out the digital converter in the TM. WOW! We get 10 channels, clear as a bell. However, none of them come in without the Winegard amplifier on. I wish I could find something as powerful as that Winegard for the house. We used to have a roof mounted antenna with a rotator and an amplifier for the house, but it was practically worthless.

Keep checking those connections. I'll bet you find that there is something amiss.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:28 PM   #7
fishpondwest

Does the digital converter improve the reception even if you have a digital tv?
Dan
Old 07-09-2008, 05:50 PM   #8
larsdennert

Only if it has a better ATSC tuner than the one built into the Television. The converter box is for older TVs that don't have an ATSC tuner.

Analog signals are easier to receive. I think they are transmitted at a higher power level than the new digital ones. I had the same issue with cell phones. I was able to make a phone call from the top of Mt. Whitney with an Analog phone. Sometimes I can't get signal in Los Angeles with a digital HAHA.