TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-18-2015, 12:28 PM   #1
dryadi

Red face Thinking of buying TM3124KB ...HELP!

Thank you so much for letting me join the group. This weekend I am going to take a look at a 2008 TM 3124 KB at a dealership. We wanted the bigger model, as we are a family of four and like to have as much room as possible. We want to make a cross country trip in July from Florida to Oregon... I am considering a TM because I want to be able to store in my garage. We can't afford new, so looking at used. These are my questions:

1. Can the beds stay made for quicker set up? After a long day of driving would like to be able to put kids to bed right away.

2. I have read a few posts about people having troubles with their newer model TM, that required manufacture repair. Would you feel comfortable buying such an old model? I am a little nervous since we are taking such a long trip, getting stuck somewhere with a problem.

3. Do those of you that store in your garage find that it still deteriorates quickly? We had a hybrid trailer that we stored outside for a few years and were very frustrated with replacing covers and tires every year.

4. Anything I should look for when I go see it this weekend?

ANY advice at this point would be greatly appreciated!! I want to make a wise decision. And this trip has been on our bucket list for a while

Thanks in advance!
dryadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:22 PM   #2
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Each unit is unique, so some of the recent problems people have had are not going to be in the one you are going to look at. The quality of the one you are going to look at is a result of the current, and previous, owner.

That said, in response to beds; yes, you can leave the beds made-up, as long as the bedding is not too thick, and can compress to about 1½" thick. The shells seat close to the mattress, so that is the limiting factor. We leave our sleeping bags on the bed, with no problem. Can't leave the pillows on the beds, but that is no problem, either.

Things to look for are: does everything work? Refrigerator; stove; microwave/oven, if equipped; water pump and shore water connection; water heater; all lights, both on battery and shore power; do the ends lift easily; do the outside latches latch snugly; how old are the tires (more than 3 years, and they should be replaced). Just a few items in my list - others will add what I have forgotten.

Storing in a garage is a help, definitely. Not sure if the 3-year life of tires is impacted by being inside, but it seems it should help. Everyone says the tires deteriorate due to UV exposure, so indoors should add some life, I would think,

Good luck!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:56 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I think LoveToCamp has pretty much nailed it. I would add only two minor things.

Ask the present owner (dealer) to turn on the refrigerator 24 hours before you arrive. AC/shore power is fine. When you get there, the freezer should be cold - not just cool, but cold. This ensures that the cooling mechanism (the expensive part) is working.

For long term storage, most tire sites say to put the tires on a piece of wood or plastic, rather than leaving them directly on the concrete (or dirt). Apparently concrete or dirt can absorb some of the chemicals from the rubber. Some also suggest taking some of the weight off the tires, but this doesn't seem to be as universal.

I'm assuming that your garage can accommodate a 24-foot long trailer. You are lucky. And by the way ... 2008 does not qualify as "such an old model"! It is still quite new, and well within the range of years that should perform well for you. You are going to love it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:27 PM   #4
davlin
TrailManor Master

+1 on everything said above. You didn't indicate what your tow vehicle is for this trailer. As the owner of a 3124KS, I can tell you two important things. The towed weight of a 3124KB will be right at 5,000 lbs, and more importantly, the tongue weight will be around 600 lbs. Be very sure you have a hitch system that will support that tongue weight.

And to ditto Bill: Our 3124KS is a 2007 model, and we STILL think of it as "brand new."

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:00 PM   #5
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

I would certainly agree with davlin. My 3124KB weighs in at very close to 5k when loaded. I also pack a lot of other gear in our truck bed as well. I don't use a WD hitch if I'm going only a short distance for maintenance or to and from the storage lot. But, I will use my WD hitch when loaded down as it's much better and solid connection which I feel is less a breakaway as well and allows me to adjust out the squat in the rear suspension and the lift of the front suspension of the truck. My first generation V8 Tundra is rated at 7200lbs towing.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:02 PM   #6
nwhouston

Default Check your garage

We have a 3124KS from '07; great trailer. Definitely check everything people have mentioned. My trailer does not have a swing hitch, so I need every inch of 28 feet to store ours in a rental shed. Don't be shy about pulling, pushing and opening while looking. Remember that many dealers do't know these unique trailers that well, so search this great site for threads where others have been on the hunt; they usually post some good stories on what they found when they went to look at a trailer.
2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L 6 speed auto
+P3 brake controller
nwhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:04 PM   #7
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Default Videos

My suggestion is to be as educated as possible for how the set up works before you go. As others have said, you might very well know more than the dealer.

I compiled a list of useful videos at this link:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=13969

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:55 PM   #8
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Here's a link to the opening & closing brochure I have posted here:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...php?albumid=47

A 2008 is not that old. I don't even think of ours as old, and it's 11 years older than a 2008!
Old 03-20-2015, 09:50 AM   #9
moaboy

Storing your TM in a garage makes a huge difference. Mine has always been stored in a garage and shows very little deterioration. It will probably not stay that way after this summer's trip to Alaska, but yes, storing inside protected from the elements makes a world of difference.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:07 PM   #10
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

There a numerous prospective owner threads about what to look for on the site. I think this one has a list of most of them. Some are great some are just so so.

http://trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8878

I think our TM was about the same age at the time we bought it as what you are looking at. We have had few problems. We could not be happier about our decision to get a TM.

Be sure to take a few short practice trips before heading out on your grand big first adventure. Hope you like Oregon as much as we liked your state parks in the panhandle.

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote