TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-12-2007, 04:41 PM   #1
rickybobby

Default clean TM

what are you guys cleaning the outside of TM with?
Old 12-12-2007, 07:46 PM   #2
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Hi rickybobby,

I use greased lightening with good success. Some others use bottles of car soap. This year I saw pics on here of a TM washed with Simple Green...appears it was very powerful and took the paint off...so do NOT use Simple Green!

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickybobby View Post
what are you guys cleaning the outside of TM with?

I use "The Reliable 1, Super Spray Cleaner" black streak remover that I got from my local RV dealer, Mr. Clean Heavy Duty Magic Erasers, plenty of elbow grease, rinse each section, and a follow up with a car wash cleaner applied with a soft brush (to make sure all of the black streak remover is removed, as it can itself cause streaks), and then plenty of rinse water again. After the TM dries, I also follow up with a coat of Protect-All from Walmart. Plan on a couple of days for a really thorough cleaning.

Did I mention that I was really detail oriented??

Chap
Old 12-12-2007, 09:41 PM   #4
PopBeavers

I use Ivory liquid dish soap from the kitchen in hot water. I wash it once, every fall when I put it away.

In between I drive it through the U-Spray car wash to keep the bug splatters under control.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:33 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Rickybobby -

As the name suggests, most of this entire section is devoted to cleaning the TM. You'll do well to read through the posts.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:15 PM   #6
Shandysplace

Default Soiled Curtains/Streaks

Our brand new TM was delivered to us with soiled curtain bottoms where the curtains slide on the side of the TM while being open/closed. Dealer suggested we clean the sides (Mr. Eraser) just before each opening/closing would help, but not eliminate the problem.

After arriving from the factory, after opening the trailer for the first time, dealer noticed a vertical black streak forward of the door between the door and sofa. In trying to remove it with Soft Scrub or some similar product, they removed some of the vinyl wall covering leaving a white mark on the wall. Factory says that the wall board they use is precovered. Obviously, replacing the wall is more than we want to deal with so we're thinking of putting some kind of decorative strip on each side of the trailer to cover it up it up on the damaged side and be symetrical in appearance.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:48 PM   #7
2bcs1jrt

Shandysplace,
In my TM, those vertical streaks are caused by the rubbing of the bag seal when traveling. Magic eraser works great on our walls but they are not papered as it sounds as though yours are. Keeping those seals clean might lessen the problem. If that is what caused your streak, keep in mind that what ever you put there to cover up that spot needs to be able to withstand the rub of the bag seals when your TM is being towed. Mine (being 9 years old) has worn through the paint in some places.
Just FYI
Cheri
Old 05-20-2008, 10:01 AM   #8
Queeniereads

We werer told to ALWAYS close our curtains, making them flat against the window, before closing the TM down. We forgot one ONCE and it got all dirty. If they were closed, then ignore this posting. GOod luck! Am going to attack a few black marks with magic eraser this weeknd. THanks for the tips. Queen
Old 06-23-2008, 05:33 PM   #9
Beak12

I'm holding my breath waiting for my new (Used 04 2720SL) only 3+ more weeks in the get ready. I have owned 5 RV's and tried many brands of cleaners. I found that a product called Wash/Wax All from Aero Cosmetics (1-800-927-4929) out of San Antonio TX. Vary few stores carry the stuff. I call them and it arrives in about a week. You just spray it on and wipe it off it can be applied to dry or wet surfaces easy as 1-2-3. They also have a stuff for black streaks. They said it was developed for Airplanes. Who knows. I use it on all my cars and the house.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:48 PM   #10
markandanne

We just got back from our first big trip with the TM (2.5 weeks, 4K miles) and gave her a good thorough cleaning before we put her back in the garage. I started off cleaning the exterior with Soft Scrub since I had remembered it being mentioned on the forum but wasn't thrilled with it so I decided to try Greased Lightning, which I had NOT remembered being a product mentioned on TMO, but which I have used very successfully for other cleaning tasks around the house. I couldn't believe how easily Greased Lightning got the bugs, the road grime, and even a couple tar splatters off - almost all with using only a sponge. I did have to occasionally flip to the scrubby side of the sponge for a couple stubborn marks but not very much. I used GL just as successfully inside to get off the black streaks on the walls, which I had been afraid were wear marks but actually just turned out to be grime from the seals. I swear that "Ginny" wasn't anywhere near this clean even the first time I saw her brand-spanking-new on the dealer lot.

Best thing is that Greased Lightning is available at grocery stores, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, et al. so it's not expensive nor hard to find.