TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-29-2010, 11:21 PM   #1
trisht

Cool tongue jack

Our TM came with a wheel, but no foot, to insert on the bottom of the tongue jack post. I've notice that most other trailers have some sort of round or rectangular foot that gets put on when leveling the trailer. Do other TM owners use some sort of foot and/or am I OK to just use the post by itself? It seems a foot would be more stable and help prevent damage to the post itself. If using a foot is the answer, any suggestions on brand, etc... (Camping World only sold one model and doesn't fit).

...also, unlesss one has one of those motorized / hydrolic trailer movers, is there value in the wheel? I'm not seeing it; especially with a sloped storage area.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:30 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisht View Post
Our TM came with a wheel, but no foot, to insert on the bottom of the tongue jack post. I've notice that most other trailers have some sort of round or rectangular foot that gets put on when leveling the trailer. Do other TM owners use some sort of foot and/or am I OK to just use the post by itself? It seems a foot would be more stable and help prevent damage to the post itself. If using a foot is the answer, any suggestions on brand, etc... (Camping World only sold one model and doesn't fit).

...also, unlesss one has one of those motorized / hydrolic trailer movers, is there value in the wheel? I'm not seeing it; especially with a sloped storage area.
The biggest advantage of the wheel is that you don't have to "Perfectly" line-up the tongue and ball when hitching up.. Just get close and you can pull the tongue over the ball and lower the jack.

I used to push our trailer around in the garage on the jack wheel but it was pretty hard and not real practical for moving the trailer any distance. With the extra weight of a 3124, it would be even harder.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:09 AM   #3
P and B

I think that pipe is a standard size. I left mine at a campground once and just picked up a new one from our dealer but I'll be you can find them at a K-mart or Walmart. If not, just make sure you put a piece of wood down so you don't "flare or crush" the end of the pipe.

Phil
Old 05-30-2010, 08:44 AM   #4
Scott O

The round foot keeps the pipe from sinking in to soft ground. The wheel allows for some movement. Neither is necessary unless you need what it does. As P and B mentioned, be sure to use some sort of block to protect the pipe, and keep the pipe from sinking.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
TrailGuy77

I used to put a 4x4 block of wood under the post on my old TM since it didn't come with a foot either.I found that if I left the wheel on,I could not level the TM "front to back" in certain campsites since it raises the tongue a bit more than just a block of wood under the post.

My new TM came with the foot which is definately more convenient.It also adds some stability on the tongue which reduces movement.I would ask your dealer to give you one as a new trailer should DEFINATELY come with it.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
vnmtm1

Default Tongue jack stand

I had problems with the standard tongue jack wheel that came with our 3023, so I replaced it with this from Camping World: Trailer tongue jack stand.

It has worked out very well for us and I don't miss the wheel at all.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:14 AM   #7
PopBeavers

I use the wheel every time and would have no use for the fixed plate.

In the garage I push the front over about 8 inches before setting the front jacks and swinging the tongue around.

While hitching I can push the front of the TM to one side or the other to align it. I tow with a truck that is about 22 feet long and while it is easy to get the fore and back distance aligned easily (the back up alarm in the truck tells me when to stop), it is more difficult to move the truck sideways an inch or two, especially when I have no one to help me.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #8
Bluegrass

I also just use the wheel unless I'm in a situation where, in order to get the TM level front to back, I need to drop the tongue lower than the wheel will allow.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #9
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
I also just use the wheel unless I'm in a situation where, in order to get the TM level front to back, I need to drop the tongue lower than the wheel will allow.
Same, I need it to roll the TM in and out of the garage. And fine-tuning the hitch set-up.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote