TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-18-2006, 06:46 PM   #1
Walter Roach

Default Water Heater Doesn't Turn On

On our first outing in our 'new-to-us' 2005 TrailManor 2720SL, we were not able to get the hot water heater to work. We had a spendid time, and we knew how to heat water to wash dishes, and used the showers at the site. Still, we need to know what to do to trouble-shoot. I tried to follow the steps in the manual (pictures or diagrams sure would help). I have a week to get it figured out or repaired, as necessary. If some knowledgeable person could suggest a sequence of steps to follow, we 'newbies' would sure appreciate it.

Walter & Debbie Roach
San Jose, CA
2005 TrailManor 2720 SL
2006 Saturn Vue V6
Old 09-18-2006, 07:31 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The water heater can run on gas (propane) or electric (standard household electricity, if your site has hookups). It will not run from 12-volt DC (automotive power). Which were you trying to use when you experienced the failure?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 02:14 PM   #3
Walter Roach

Default Troubleshooting the hot water heater

We were set up in a site with electrical and water hookups, and we were trying to use 115 volt 'shore power'. Thanks for the suggestions so far; we appreciate the advice and help.

Walter & Debbie Roach
San Jose, CA
2005 TrailManor 2720SL
2006 Saturn Vue V6
Old 09-19-2006, 02:35 PM   #4
PopBeavers

My 2005 TM 2720 will run on propane, 120 volt electric, or both for quicker recovery. I normally use propane.

Once the water heater is full of water I flip the switch at the sink and I am done.

For electric I have to open the exterior door, remove the cotter pin with needle nose pliears and flip the switch. Don't forget to turn this switch off when you leave or run out of water or you will likely burn up the heating element.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:26 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Walter -

If you had 115 volt shore power, and if you turned on the outside switch that PopBeavers alluded to, and if the circuit breeaker (in the converter near the floor outside the bathroom) is not tripped, then most likely your electric heating element is blown. THIS IS NOT A BIG DEAL! A new element is only a few dollars from any RV place. You will need a big socket wrench (size, anyone?) to unscrew the old one and screw in the new one.

BTW, after my first trip out, I threw away the cotter pin. I have no idea what purpose it is supposed to serve, but it is highly annoying.

Let us know what you find.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:42 PM   #6
Walter Roach

Default I'll try it tonight!

Thanks for the clear advice. Debbie and I will try it out tonight. I thought I had the switch done correctly, but it was getting dark, and I bailed out. I'll let you know the outcome by tomorrow. Thanks for all of the support for us 'newbies'

Walter
San Jose, CA
Old 09-19-2006, 10:27 PM   #7
Doug W.

I might add that Bill posted a picture of where the switch is here: http://tmphotos.org/modules/xoopsgal...?g2_itemId=194 .
Old 09-24-2006, 06:05 AM   #8
Walter Roach

Default Hot water heater RESET buttons

I finally found the problem yesterday, when I could take the time to get into it. The reset buttons, behind the black rubber cover, needed to be pushed in. There are 2 of them, side-by-side. I could feel them click when I pushed in the black rubber membrane. I was able to set up for propane and get it on. When I tried to get it to work from just 115 volt, (waited 5 minutes) I pushed the button ON behind and at the lower left; however, it operated in gas mode anyway. I ran out of time to work on it, but we have hot water. Thanks for all of the excellent advice and support...