TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-13-2008, 04:54 PM   #1
rdanpurnell

Default Support Arm Locking When Closing Unit

We have a 2000 3023SL. When we close up, we do so while the unit is still level. Our problem is that often we cannot latch the support arms into the lock using the stiruups provided - my shoe size does not fit and there is not enough weight to push down to lock the arm. Any suggestions to make this process easier; or any enhancements anyone has made to increase the size of the stiruups?

Dan
Old 04-13-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
CAmark
Site Sponsor

Dan,
I recall a while back there was a thread on this -- one suggestion was to get a 2 x 4 type board about 4 feet long; place one end in the stirrup with the other end angled to the ground; and step on the board.
Mark
or 04 Pilot w/ Tow Package
Prodigy Brake Controller; Husky 800/1200 WDH; McKesh Mirrors
2006 2720SL; A/C; awning; swing hitch; 14" NEXEN Load Range D tires
CAmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:00 PM   #3
ng2951

You can also try tilting the trailer. For example, on our 3326 its pretty hard to open the front shell by yourself. If you lower the front half you have gravity to help you open the shell.

I am pretty sure if you use the same technique, the shell might be easy enough to lock.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdanpurnell View Post
Our problem is that often we cannot latch the support arms into the lock using the stiruups provided. Any enhancements anyone has made to increase the size of the stiruups?

Dan
On my 2002, I did exactly what you suggest - bought a couple wider stirrups, painted them to look better, and installed them. They are actually called U-bolts, and they are available at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. You need to drill one new hole for each stirrup ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:02 AM   #5
camp2canoe

Dan - it helps if you first push down on the side that you intend to latch second. On our 2619 the shells will bind a little if you don't first push down on the other side first. - camp2canoe
Old 04-14-2008, 01:33 PM   #6
Scott O

An inexpensive loop could be fashioned from 1" or so webbing available at outdoor stores, like camping/rockclimbing. Could be as long as needed, which would allow any foot to fit and also get it closer to the ground. Just thought of this and I might add in all humility that I am so impressed with the idea I'm going to make a couple, even though I don't have any problem closing the trailer - it might make the job easier!
Old 04-20-2008, 12:57 PM   #7
larsdennert

I like the idea of pushing the opposite side first. My inside shell is often very difficult to latch. I am a skinny person! I've tried adjusting the bars to no avail. Here is an "if all else fails" trick. After lowering the inside shell as far as you can, slide the bed or couch on the front shell in and climb on to that bed from the tongue. From inside here you can easily push the shell down from the top.

The outside shell has never given me trouble due to the many spots to grab it.