TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-04-2008, 04:35 PM   #1
WildWG
Site Sponsor

Default Stoneguard

I am still working on replacing the front window protector or stoneguard on our 2000 2619. I have studied our warped panel and it is indeed made from a sheet of painted hardboard, a Masonite-like material. I can purchase a sheet of the stuff from Home Depot for $12.00 that will make two of the stoneguard panels. I suppose that I will just make sure the panel is well covered in paint and hope that it lasts a while.

I am still open to ideas and advice. I have tried to email TrailManor but keep getting a message that I have not indicated a recipient for my email, when I have.

Ah, how comforting is our complex world.

WWG
WildWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:50 PM   #2
Scott O

Someone on another post mentioned that they had used a piece of tinted Lexan, which is an interesting idea. A bit more expensive, but the quality stuff is nearly bullet proof and would give you the advantage of passing some light when closed... It lasts for a very long time (I have used panels on my avary for winter protection for 10 or so years) and I doubt if it will warp!
Old 08-04-2008, 10:00 PM   #3
markandanne

Have you taken a look at FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) which comes in 4x8 foot sheets at Home Depot or Lowes?

It's more expensive than hardboard ($20 or $30 a sheet if I recall correctly) but it would be vastly superior to water damage (it's often used for shower enclosures). I don't know about UV resistance, although I believe that it's similar to what's used on some other RV's. I went to the website of the manufacturer and they advertised on it various RV exterior wall products. I had to get a couple of sheets for some work around the house and I've been studying it to see if there are any projects I could use it for in the TM.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:48 PM   #4
WildWG
Site Sponsor

Default Stoneguard

Thanks to y'all for your ideas. I would love Lexan but it costs hundreds of dollars for a 4' X 8' sheet. I will certainly check out the fiberglas reinforced plastic sheet immediately.

WWG
WildWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

I've got a stone-guard question too. The little spring loaded pins that hold it closed...on mine, the pins are being eroded away from the vibration of the stoneguard. One is down to about a third of the original diameter.

I can't figure out how to get this pin out to replace it. Do I have to swap out the whole arm?
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
markandanne

I don't recall the brand name of the stuff I bought at Home Depot, but if you check out http://www.cranecomposites.com you'll see that they market stuff for home use (the Glasbord looks pretty much like what I'm using) as well as a whole section on RV products. The RV products may well be different, with UV inhibitors or whatever, but even the stuff for indoor use may be worth a try even if you had to eventually paint it to eliminate the yellowing. Even if it eventually became brittle it would have to last longer than masonite. You might also be able to get the RV stuff from an RV dealer, but I haven't tried, and I bet it's expensive.

Compared to the TM construction it's pretty heavy for it's strength (which is why you don't find it on TM's), and it uses glass mat rather than woven glass so it's not as strong as it could be, but it also appears pretty durable which is the main point of the stone-guard. It wouldn't be any heavier than hard-board. I'm actually using the wall stuff for flooring under the cat litter boxes to make it easier to clean up their mess, and walking on it doesn't appear to hurt it (or scratch the glossy surface). It works pretty easily (because it's mat and not woven glass), so I've scored and snapped it (it bends quite a bit before it snaps), I've cut it with the jigsaw, and I think it will drill easily.

Whatever you try, keep us posted on how it works, and good luck!
Old 08-06-2008, 04:33 AM   #7
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbmiller3 View Post
I've got a stone-guard question too. The little spring loaded pins that hold it closed...on mine, the pins are being eroded away from the vibration of the stoneguard. One is down to about a third of the original diameter.

I can't figure out how to get this pin out to replace it. Do I have to swap out the whole arm?
Bill,

I believe the pin is one piece. It looks like the "thumb" end is attached by a flared or flattened part of the pin. You could try drilling out the center of the thumb wheel. On one of our outings, the curb side of the front stone guard (lower) support arm came off. When I opened the stone guard that part of the support arm was missing. I had to order a complete set of support arms (curb and street side) for the fix. When ordering replacement support arms, make sure to measure the length of the existing arms first. I assumed they were all the same size. Some TM's use a 14" and others a 13" support arm. Our unit uses the 13" support arm.

I checked several RV parts stores and could not find support arms to fit our unit. Finally found replacements through our TM dealer.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:27 AM   #8
Scott O

May be a dumb suggestion, but could a short length of small plastic hose (like aquarium hose only larger) be slipped over the eroding pin? It comes in various sizes, is tough, and could be easily replaced yearly or so when needed. The hole in the stone guard might need to be reamed out a little to get more room for the now larger diameter pin, but might be worth a try before you start replacing support arms and such.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:50 PM   #9
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Thanks to both. Scott O, it's not dumb at all. I have it wrapped with black tape now and will try the tubing when I get back from this trip. I don't want to replace the arms unless it's a must. I did see that the pop rivet at the top of this arm is starting to pull through the stoneguard...interesting that the passenger side of the stoneguard seems to vibrate much more than the other side. Maybe because of meeting trucks, etc on that side?
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:38 PM   #10
agesilaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWG View Post
Thanks to y'all for your ideas. I would love Lexan but it costs hundreds of dollars for a 4' X 8' sheet. I will certainly check out the fiberglas reinforced plastic sheet immediately.

WWG
Check:

http://mcmaster.com

And type in lexan in the search box you'll have to work your way thru the choices or you can type in 8574K213 in the box which will show you a 4X4 ft sheet of 1/4 inch uv resistant lexan for $120. They have all sorts of other varieties.

McMaster-Carr is a great source of all sorts of products. Not the cheapest but they probably have what you want.

Just curious, have you called the factory and asked them how much a replacement rock guard is? The newer ones are frp I think.

BK