View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 10:00 PM   #8
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
That's a pretty safe bet given that the great majority of TT travel happens in the summer. You'd have to factor that into the equation.
Yea, I thought about that a bit too after I posted the poll. It will skew the results, but I also think there's a fair part of summer camping that is done where temps are lower than 80-85 F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
I was surprised about your Kumho's. Don't they have a significantly higher load rating than the Marathons?
Yes, they are rated for quite a bit more, and that's what is giving me pause to think about what else can be contributing to failure. My Kumhos were only 3 years old, and I took good care of them.

The 205 75/R14 Marathons are C load tires, with a rating of 1760 lbs. The 205 R14 Kumho 857 tires are D load tires, with a rating of 2271 lbs. That gives the Kumhos an extra 1,000 lbs of capacity.

My new 225 75/R15 Carlise tires are E load tires, with a rating of 2830 lbs. That's over 2,100 lbs MORE than what the Marathons are rated for, although that is at 80 psi, which I have demonstrated is too high of a pressure to run at -- it beats the trailer to crap. After doing that for a few hundred miles, I deflated to 70 psi, in part because I read about someone here running E range Maxxis tires at 70 psi (on scout trailers as well) with no problems. That improved the ride quite a bit, and with either pressure, they are running 10-20 degrees higher than ambient temp. And I weighed the TM on our trip, and we are right at the max at ~4,100 lbs.

Incidentally, Tirerack now has 2 listings for 205 75/R14 Marathons. One listing is for a tire made in China, the other is for a tire made in either the U.S. or Canada. Maybe that's a contributing factor.....were trailer tire failures such an issue 20-30 years ago when tires were domestically manufactured? Probably hard to tell, at least for us, because that was long before the internet.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote