Thread: Inverter Survey
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 12:43 AM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Hokie View Post
I have been inspired by MudDog to rig up my TM with solar and a decent sized inverter. (I will likely end up copying much of his install as a matter of fact)

I think I have my solar configuration nailed down but I am still evaluating different approaches for the inverter. I am curious what folks who have inverters are doing on their TMs. Are you hiding the inverters in a nook or cranny somewhere and then heating up specific outlets? Did you install a remote switch to enable/disable the inverter as needed so you do not have to access said nook or cranny? Are you just leaving the inverter more or less out in the open?

My initial thinking is to mount the inverter under the seat on the forward bulkhead so it is close to the tongue-mounted batteries. I was thinking of rewiring the microwave outlet (and perhaps one by the fridge) to be inverter-powered and leave all of the other AC outlets as shore power only. I may replace the cover plate(s) with one in a different color to differentiate.

Anyway, this post is just intended to solicit lessons learned and recommendations for inverter placement. I am aiming for as much of a hidden yet wife-friendly installation as is practical.
I mounted my inverter right out on the front, outside wall of the camper, protected by the bunk while open and the upper shell while closed. It's close to the batteries and has plenty of cooling which makes it more efficient. I also have my solar controller out there.

You can see an access port next to it for running an extension cord inside. I see no real need for hard wiring it. If I had kids, I may have hard wired it though. It's quite easy to do.

At some point, I my make a nice, white, sheet aluminum panel to cover it (just for appearance sake). I plan to drill holes top & bottom for air flow and leave both ends open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BatteryBox 011.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	4671