View Single Post
Old 08-03-2023, 03:02 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I think your Beamer weighs around 600 pounds bare? What will its actual fully equipped-and-configured weight be when you load it? How much will the load-assist system weigh? How much cargo will you carry in the back of the truck in addition to the bike, and what will it weigh? Have you remembered that the tongue weight of TM is around 500 pounds, carried on the rear axle (though a WDH will help a bit with that). I have a hunch that the GAWR-R will be the spec you have to watch out for.

We have a 2014 F-150 5.0L 4WD approaching 180K miles with no issues. We love it, except that we bought the Super Cab / regular bed configuration instead of the Crew Cab / short bed (same vehicle length either way) - big mistake. For us, we could have lived with the Crew Cab / short bed (5.5 feet). But for you, if you choose a Crew Cab / short bed to keep the vehicle length under control, it probably won't carry the Beamer. If you choose a Crew Cab / regular bed (6.5 feet) in order to carry your Beamer in the bed - and if the Beamer will fit - you will have a L-O-N-G vehicle that will be difficult to maneuver in anything like a tight place. Or Lord help you if you choose the long bed (8 feet). Our F-150 has a terrible turning radius.

So you have to trade off those things - cab configuration, bed configuration, overall vehicle length, weight of cargo in the bed beside the bike, tongue weight of the TM, GAWR-R, and tow rating of course. Remember that everything you put in the vehicle except yourself subtracts pound-for-pound from the tow rating. I think you have a challenge.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote