View Single Post
Old 08-19-2007, 09:17 AM   #10
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Jim -

I think you are right. This is one of the approaches that Chap and I talked about, and I think he actually did it, with some success. I expected him to post his experience, but he has been off-line for a while. Chap? You out there?

Bill
I am just getting back online....my puter was acting up yesterday.

Like Bill said, we have been PMn back and forth the last couple of weeks or so.

Jim has come up with a similar idea that I used. I used 1"x 1/8" aluminum flatbar riveted behind the fender skirt, right under the dimple. I put washers over both rivet ends (especially needed on the plastic fender skirt). I made sure that the rivets were well to the ends of the flatbar (outside of the tire area), and installed from the outside so the "long" part of the rivet is on the inside of the fender skirt (so it would not rub against the top wall seal). I cut my flatbar to fit over most of the fender skirt, but cut it short enought to fit inside of the fender well. BUT......If you leave it a little long, it may provide the spacer that Bill has suggested.....probably owners need to see how there fender wells are made, and tweak/file/cut according to their setup. My screws are on the outer edge of the skirt (~ 1/4", vs. Bill's 1"), and the fender well is tapered in some, so a little longer flatbar on mine could help pull the skirt out.....does that make sense??? Also, since 1"x1/8" flatbar is not very rigid, I had to bend the aluminum to counter act the bend in the fender skirt, and might have to continue that in the future as things settle in.

My missus added: Bill's fix addressed the root of the problem, and mine fixes the result of the problem.

And to add about those 1500 Lb. load limit wheels......not knowing initially, I was the 1 that bought a set of those. I bought them from my local RV dealer, who stated that is what they use on everything....a little scary. I PMd wmtire and Bill, and they both relayed their concerns with these. The wheels were now the weak link in my setup, and I just didn't like that. So I turned around, and ordered a set of 2600 lb load limit wheels, and will get them installed next week. A little wasted money, but a lot more peace of mind.

I hope to post a couple of pictures of my fender skirt fix in the next couple of days.....the missus has the digital camera at work.

Chap