View Single Post
Old 08-18-2007, 11:42 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Did you have any problems putting this wider/larger tire in the spare tire rack?
I haven't even tried. I fully expect to have problems. On my TM, the spare tire rack isn't tall enough even to accept the 14" tire gracefully. In order to get the rack up on the ledge, I have to lift it with so much force (i.e., using my bottle jack or a Wonder Bar that I carry) that the rack tubes are bent. There is no way in the world that it is going to accept a tire that is even thicker. I'm going to have to modify the rack, probably as suggested by Eric Larson in http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=5828

Quote:
Will you use the full 65psi?
Probably not. Even at 50 psi (same as the 14" tires) the load rating is improved from 1870 to 2150 pounds. I may run at 55 psi (2270 pounds), but I'm afraid that at 65 psi, the tire would be so hard it would shake the TM apart.

Quote:
Do you still sit level without adjusting your hitch?
I haven't checked it, but I don't think the extra half inch of trailer height will be enough of a change to get me excited. After all, the hitch adjusts in 1-inch increments.

Quote:
I wonder if you'd gone with your initial thought of getting an offset rim if there would have been the problem with the skirt.
That certainly would have helped the situation, since the tire is not centered in the well. But the tire guy insisted that "they don't make trailer wheels with an offset", so I decided not to fight him. He was enough of a pain before that. Believe me, most tire guys are NOT what you see in WMTire.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote