View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 02:44 AM   #9
BrigCA61

Our TM has a gap at the floor of the door, so if there were any CO build-up some of it could escape there. We also keep the bathroom window cracked as well as the door window. We usually keep the heater on the counter near the sink. I have felt the ceiling above the heater after it has been on awhile, and although it is warm, I can comfortably hold my hand on the ceiling for at least a minute or more - it is not too hot. I think when the sun beats down on the metal roof above, it is probably hotter than the metal ceiling gets with the Mr Heater Buddy on. We use a seperate 20# propane tank which is outdoors and run the Mr. Heater Buddy hose through the gap at the end of the vinyl flap nearest to the sink - we also use the Mr. Heater Buddy filter which is required when using the larger propane tanks and hose. We may purchase a Honda generator later to use the TM heater on battery when boondocking and recharge during the day, but for now the Mr. Heater Buddy works very well. I have researched it quite a bit and read many reviews, and find it very safe when used property. Of course, everyone should decide for themselves if they feel safe using a product... if not, don't use it!

The User Manual states: "This heater can only be used in a recreational or
commercial enclosure with a window or roof vent. This heater requires a vent area of 9 square inches (example 3” x 3” opening) minimum for adequate ventilation during operation. When used without adequate combustion and ventilation air, this heater may give off excessive CARBON MONOXIDE, an odorless, poisonous gas."

Here's the PDF file for the Mr. Heater Buddy User Manual:
http://www.mrheater.com/upload/newsl...20MH9B_eng.pdf

And, here's a press release I found when it first came out, almost 8 years ago:

NEW! A SAFE, PORTABLE PROPANE HEATER FOR INDOOR USE
Mr. Heater Introduces the Portable Buddy at National Hardware Show

Cleveland, OH, August, 2000 --- Mr. Heater Corporation will unveil its new portable Buddy indoor safe radiant heater at the National Hardware Show in Chicago's McCormick Place, August 13-16, 2000. The portable Buddy is the first propane gas-fired radiant heater to be certified indoor-safe by CSA International (formerly the American Gas Association) for recreational and commercial indoor use.

The portable Buddy efficiently provides temporary heat for tents, cabins, truck caps, recreational vehicles, ice fishing shanties, porches, patios, garage workshops, construction trailers, etc. It's also an emergency aid for power outages in cold weather.

Mr. Heater's Buddy meets new CSA standards for indoor recreational and commercial use by using an oxygen depletion safety system (ODS) that automatically shuts off the heater when the oxygen level drops below acceptable levels in enclosed spaces. The Buddy's ODS system, designed to operate in portable heaters up to 10,000 BTU's, eliminates the risk of Carbon Monoxide (CO) dangers occurring. Carbon Monoxide dangers occur when heaters designed for outdoor use only are used improperly in enclosed, unventilated spaces.

The portable Buddy features high and low settings that be set to generate between 4,000 and 9,000 BTU's of continuous, odor-free heat. Compact and weighing only seven pounds, Buddy can heat up to 250 square feet of space for up to six hours on a single, one-pound propane cylinder.

Product shipments to retailers, including major hardware chains, will begin in August, 2000. The suggested retail price is $99.95.

Headquartered in Cleveland, Ohio, Mr. Heater is a leading manufacturer of gas-fired portable radiant heating products for consumer, commercial and industrial applications. Additional photos are available upon request. For more information contact Judy Edwards or John DuRoss at Mr. Heater Corporation: 216-881-5500 or 800-251-0001. Visit Mr. Heater online at www.mrheater.com.