View Single Post
Old 05-27-2023, 10:35 PM   #36
Trailblazer

Thanks for the comments! You both have raised some interesting points. My electric jack is the Atwood MPD 80570 with a capacity of 3,500 lbs.

Kidkraz, you driveway's slope looks very similar to mine. I might be a bit unnecessarily cautious! I'm sure others have managed to park and access their TM on a slope worse than mine, just don't want to mess up!

I wasn't so much concerned about the tires or axles, since they're designed capable enough to carry the weight when towed. It was more about whether the front stabilizers would be sufficient to handle the weight on a slope. The weight there would be different than at the tongue, with the jack retracted, as I anticipate needing to add more height to the underlying jack support.

On a slope, with the 3500 lb capable tongue jack retracted so I could add some extra support height underneath it, I would expect more of the TM weight to be distributed from the tires to the front stabilizers, than when on level ground.

I have already made supports for the tongue and the four stabilizers that are fashioned to the slope of the driveway. If there is actually 1.4 feet of extra height hiding in the tongue jack (or close to that) when the trailer is level on flat ground, I likely wouldn't even need to add the extra height to my support. I'm just doubting that there is that much extra, and not so sure that I like the idea of the jack or stabs being overly extended to achieve level anyway. Just would prefer not to be in the middle of all this for the first time, and unprepared. At the moment, the TM is not situated where I can test how high the jack can go fully extended, so still have to check that.

If I understand correctly the stabilizers are supposed to be capable of 5K each!? Therefore I can't see why there should be any issue with supporting the TM on the front stabilizers, while the jack is retracted, providing the wheels are properly chocked. Once level with stabilizers all in play, the fact the TM is on a slope shouldn't matter, with the weight resting on the tires, per usual. Was just wondering if others had ever relied on the front stabs to help them get level on an incline.