View Single Post
Old 04-19-2023, 02:49 PM   #10
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdennert View Post
How did Coleman get away with building a trailer that requires a key to get out effectively? I have a hitch lock on the trailer tongue. All the other keys are on the same ring. Tough to leave without them.
Good question. There is only one single key lock on a coleman popup camper of that era. After completely lowering the camper to the tow configuration and peering inside the lower door/step section to make sure everything is stowed away inside properly, you raise the step and turn a latch to secure the hatch. Insert the key and turn it to lock the latch so that it doesn't work loose and open up during travel. I did that the day before the trip. Only problem is I forgot and left the same key at home, instead of making sure it was on my ring or inside the tow vehicle. So basically what we had was the door panel fit perfectly in place to open and close properly, but after opening the door, we had to step over a 2.5 foot panel locked in place, using an improvised step on the ground below.

Yep, tough to make that same mistake 40 years later, but it was our first time and lessons learned on that.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote