View Single Post
Old 11-04-2008, 08:22 AM   #8
mgoblue911

Default Flashing NC on the Prodigy

"Controller flashes NC at random intervals, even when not moving at all - swaps between C and NC with no motion
When controller says NC, trailer lights still work normally (makes me think it is not a trailer grounding problem)
Even with NC showing, the manual brake lever has some effect - hard to quantify, but I'd say it is 50% effective - for example, when stopped with the TV in drive, and the brakes functioning normally, it is easy to hold the TV by pushing the Prodigy manual lever to the left. With NC flashing, the TV will not hold, but there is some braking action provided by the trailer brakes - just not as much as when there is a C showing.
With TV sitting still, Prodigy controller showed two lower bars (indicates Controller is mounted at too low of an angle). The controller is mounted just fine - this symptom makes me think it might be a bad controller"

I had the EXACT same symptoms during our trip to Yellowstone this past summer. After some preliminary poking around, a mobile trailer repair man hooked up his TV to my trailer with his older Tekonsha controller, and it appeared to be fine. He suggested that it must be my TV. So I went to a Nissan dealer to have my TV connection checked. It was fine. I bought a new controller, hooked it up, and it had the same symptoms. I called Tekonsha, and a seemingly very knowledgable tech support person told me that they were 99% certain that the problem was a grounding issue with the trailer brake wiring. Apparently, the Prodigy is VERY sensitive to these issues, much more so than the older Tekonsha models, so that it can be more "predicitive" of potential failures. I never had any issues with the trailer lights, just the NC indicator and weak trailer brakes.

Armed with all this information, I asked the mobile repairman to come back out. He did (at no cost to me because of his misdiagnosis) and we traced the wiring from the bargeman connector to the battery, from the battery to the wiring bundles behind the fridge, and finally from the bundle to the brake magnet on the street side. When we pulled the hub to check the last little 10 inches of wiring, we found the culprit. There is a little plastic bushing that is supposed to protect the wiring as it passes thorugh the wheel to the brake magnets. Apparently, during the installation (presumably at the factory), the bushing pinched the wire and compromised the sheathing. This eventually caused the bad ground. When we replaced the short section of wire, the NC went away, the brakes functioned properly, and all was well. I have about 3000 miles on the trailer since with repair with no additional problems. About 6 cents worth of wire caused an awful lot of anxiety and misery.

I am not suggesting that your short is in the exact same place (although it could be). But I am suggesting that the problem is a short somewhere in your trailer brake wiring. Give the tech support at Tekonsha a call. They were incredibly helpful. You can also PM me if you would like to get further information about my situation. I am no electrical or mechanical wizard, but I learned an awful lot during this ordeal, and would be happy to share it.