View Single Post
Old 06-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #17
fourteener

Default Sliding Tool Boxes

Well I finally did it, took the initiative to fabricate tool boxes that fit just in front of the tires and just behind the steps. They are basic and slide on 3/4" angle iron. The boxes themselves are built mostly from 3/4" angle and boxed in sheet metal. Painted them with the rubberized undercoating.

Larger box is 48"L X 6"D X 10"W, totally enclosed, currently bolted in place with four 1/4" bolts, and has a secure hinged door.

Smaller box is 20"L X 6"D X 10"W, top is opened, slides into place, and is held on the track by two carabiners.

PROS
Large box works great for kayak paddles, small shovels, fishing rods. Small box built to hold jack blocks, and is built slightly stronger so that it can double as a third entry step if we are in an extremely unlevel area. Nice that now all items used on the exterior to set-up are stored outside the camper, so I don't have to bother my DW when she is setting up the inside.

CONS
Boxes took almost 3-full days to construct and attach to camper. Added about 30 lbs to the camper. Not as much storage gained as I first hoped. Steel, welding wire, and paint cost just over $200.

Overall, I'm glad I've completed this mod, and it will definitely be handy when packing our Sevylor Colorado (inflatable kayak).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Storage Box 1.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	8512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Storage Box 2.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	8513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Storage Box 3.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	8514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Storage Box 4.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	8515  
2008 Toyota 4Runner
Upgrades - Lift Kit with 15" Tires/Rims/Spare & Rack,
Mud Flaps, Blue Tote Caddy, WDH Bar Holders,
Custom Outside/Chassis-mounted Tool Box,
Stove Cover, Bathroom Tension Self,
Outside Speakers, Fresh H2O Deck Plate,
100 Watt Portable Solar Panel, Shower Mod,
Over-wall TV mount - - (The fun never ends :-)
fourteener is offline   Reply With Quote