View Single Post
Old 01-16-2024, 12:34 PM   #4
Rob Culver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
Do you have pics of the hail damage?

The problem with hail damage is that (at some point) it becomes more than just cosmetic. Whenever the contour of the roof is compromised, the aluminum can come delaminated from the polyester foam core. The lamination of the aluminum on both sides of the foam core is what creates the strength of the structure. It's normally not a critical issue but it does weaken the roof incrementally.

If the dents are small, you can cover the roof with a filler, then sand it smooth (it's called "Fairing") and paint it. That won't restore the strength but it will restore the cosmetic value.

I replaced and faired the entire fiberglass deck on my 45' yacht. I completed the job in 5 days. I think that one could fair out a TM roof in 3 days.
Hello Wavery,
This hail damage discussion caught my attention because I got my Trailmanor with some hail damage on the roof. I assumed it was just a cosmetic problem since the hail dents were very shallow but there were many of them. Couple dozen at least. Might try to fix them anyway though at some point using this Fairing process you mentioned.
I attached a picture of some of the damage. It's not that easy to see depending on the light but you can make it out somewhat if you zoom in. Not sure if you can see it well enough to give me your opinion, but do you think even light damage like this could eventually cause the aluminum to delaminate as you say?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240116_111927.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	22972  
Rob Culver is offline   Reply With Quote